topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: screen capture secure-eBook and print  (Read 14988 times)

dallasburn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
screen capture secure-eBook and print
« on: March 10, 2012, 06:39 AM »
Hi
I am trying to screen capture a secure-ebook.  It is an exe file that uses the adobe reader plugin but have no print option enabled.
I downloaded screencaptor and chose the "scrolling window capture" option.  I had set the size on the secure-ebook reader in such a way that PageUp and PageDown will scroll by one page.  Running the "Test Window and Guess setting" correctly identifies

Vertical Scrolling (yes); Horizontal scrolling (no)
Scroll By "pages"
Simulate KeyPress by (PgDn/PgUp)

I press ok to capture and it has captured (by default) the first 50 pages.  So far so good!!!

However, when I try to print the 1.47 Mb captured JPG file, it comes out in only one page.  But I want to print 50 pages!

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
dallasburn

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: screen capture secure-eBook and print
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Maybe working the other way around would solve this: Capture 1 page, and have a tool (:)) press the key or click with the mouse to advance to the next page, then capture another screen. As requested and resolved in this thread (have to read a bit down the thread to get at the interesting/explaining part though)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:16 AM »
Two ways to solve this -- one would be to find a program that knows how to automatically split an image over multiple pages when printing, like a poster printer.

The better way would be for me to add a feature that's been requested before -- an option to have SC save each page as a separate file -- or even a multi-page pdf.  That seems like it would be a good feature to add.  I will try to find the time to add it soon.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Does any of this ignore the fact the creator of the ebook specifically did not want any hardcopy generated from it...or am I missing something here? :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Does any of this ignore the fact the creator of the ebook specifically did not want any hardcopy generated from it...or am I missing something here? :)
No, it's for making the allowed, but nearly impossible to create, backup of the original on/in another medium.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:01 PM »
No, it's for making the allowed, but nearly impossible to create, backup of the original on/in another medium.

Ok. If you so say - although that "allowed" backup part isn't an automatic given any more. (Never officially was either IIRC. That was always more what you'd call "a guideline" as Captain Barbarossa so nicely put it.)

Just thought that should be pointed out. :)

I'm also not sure how I'd know what the OP actually wanted to accomplish by circumventing the no-print restriction since I see no mention of 'backups' anywhere in their post. Not even so much as a hint.

But maybe I missed something there too... :huh:

Now to go back to my original question: Does any of this ignore the fact the creator of the ebook specifically did not want any hardcopy generated from it?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:27 PM by 40hz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Yes, it does seem to be "ignoring" it to some extent.
Looks like there is a restriction placed on the user so that the document can only be accessed through the executable and viewed through Adobe Reader.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:56 PM »
The better way would be for me to add a feature that's been requested before -- an option to have SC save each page as a separate file -- or even a multi-page pdf.  That seems like it would be a good feature to add.  I will try to find the time to add it soon.

I came across another situation lately where it could have been helpful - I didnt like the export options from a PIM, and wanted to get multiple-page screenshots of the (long) list in the PIM, that could then be made into a multi-page PDF.
i.e. +1, if the time is available :-)
Tom

dallasburn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20 AM »
No.  You are not missing anything :-[   While it is strictly not a defense...  All I am trying to do is to prepare a "paper" test from the eBook and take the test with pencil and paper to simulate real life testing.
As I said earlier, its is strictly not a defense...

BTW, here are step I followed to create a paper version of the ebook.  I had about 50 pages to capture.

(1) On the eBook app, I set the "fit one full page into window".  Now I could see the entire page on the window and there were grey bars on each side.  I selected the capture option "Grab Selected region" and select the page (cutting off the grey bars)
(2) Changed the following in Edit->Preferences
      (a) Under the "HotKeys", I Assigned  "PrtScr" to "Repeat Region"
      (b) Under "File Naming Template", I set default new Filename as "%quickfield% - %num%" (ebook name + 3 digit page number)
      (c) Under Post-Capture Options, I un-selected "Filename balloon tip in tray" (Not sure if this is need, oh well...)

I looked at the "Post Capture command line tools to run", but in the end, I was running out of time and ended up doing the manual way.

After the first page, Al I had to do was press "PgDn" and then press "Print Screen" keys and was able to capture all the 50 pages.

Hope That Helps some other folks.
dallasburn