topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: URGENT Board Mod Request: Sobriety Mod  (Read 16280 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
URGENT Board Mod Request: Sobriety Mod
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:30 AM »
User enables the "input module" just as (s)he is about to start drinking and chooses all possible drinks he may consume from a dropdown list.
The forum software now presents the user with (largeish) colorful buttons that represent different serving sizes for the chosen drinks so the user only has to be coherent enough to left-click the buttons as the drinking session progresses.
The forum software calculates the sobreity level and indicates it in the sidebar for everyone to see, starting from "You can talk to him" to "Just drunk enough to be manipulative, don't be taken in" to "Troll mode activated: ignore the bastard".  

Ways to prevent drunk abuse to the board:
The forum logs the user out automatically after a certain level is achieved.
Capchas and complicated calcluations to be performed in order to post.
The post button starts jumping around, so only those who can successfully click on it can post.
The buttons get progressively more vibrant and larger, eventually occupying the entire screen, so the user really has no way to post.

As you can see, I've put some serious thought into this. More suggestions are obviously welcome...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: URGENT Board Mod Request: Sobriety Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:40 AM »
NOW you come up with the idea as I've started to learn how to not click POST during a heavy drinking session... Sheesh... Shoulda come out with this YEARS ago~! :P ;D

But seriously - it would be a very cool mod for those of us that know that drinking & posting is a BAD idea AND would actually use it! :P

Thankfully, I don't think I've had any embarrassing drunken posts recently. :)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:44 AM »
I KNOW, it's like nobody scares me as much as I fzzzzz scare myself!

In all seriousness, we need a "log me out for x hours with no way to sign in" mod.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:50 AM »
I've started to learn how to not click POST during a heavy drinking session
  :o :o :o

BTW, you need to enlighten us how you've achieved this extreme level of zen. People who don't drink will NOT understand. :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:05 AM »
I've started to learn how to not click POST during a heavy drinking session
  :o :o :o

BTW, you need to enlighten us how you've achieved this extreme level of zen. People who don't drink will NOT understand. :D

Hahahaha~! ;D

While it sounds funny, it's very true! :D

Part of it comes from having made a complete and total ass of yourself, with all the guilt, remorse, and embarrassment that goes along with that. Several times. At least.

For those that don't drink, if they monkey up once, they'll still never be able to get to that point of being shitfaced and knowing to not click POST. It takes practice! Lots of it! Like, cases and cases of beer, vodka, whiskey... It's a serious financial investment! ;D

Another thing that helps, is being able to figure out that the last sentence you typed took 5 minutes. And it was only 10 words. That you retyped several times each because you're so blasted that you can barely type. And when you can become aware of that, then it's only a slight, tiny step more to becoming aware of the high probability that clicking POST will make you look like a total fool. :D

I would encourage people to break out a bottle of your favourite liquor, some ice, mixer, and your favourite heavy bottom high-ball glass (because when you really drink, those tiny whiskey glasses are for pussies!), and try it out! Get into some forum with highly controversial topics, or lots of trolls. Probably make a new account though... See if you can make the account sober first and write it down, as you might not remember later. Then, see if you've made an idiot of yourself. If you did, well, forget that account and try, try again! ;D

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:14 AM »
Another thing that helps, is being able to figure out that the last sentence you typed took 5 minutes. And it was only 10 words

My Monitor Audios are blasting at atleast 40%, but I suspect my neighbors can still hear my laughter!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:43 AM »
Another thing that helps, is being able to figure out that the last sentence you typed took 5 minutes. And it was only 10 words

My Monitor Audios are blasting at atleast 40%, but I suspect my neighbors can still hear my laughter!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heheheh~! ;D

I'm guessing that you've been there before? :P ;D

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 02:55 AM »
In that general area, yes.  I don't remember the minute/word counts, I'm sure you'll understand. I've had normal reactions from people replying so I've yet to pop my cherry but I've been so-damn-close... which is why I'm petrified. :D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:18 AM »
The buttons get progressively more vibrant and larger, eventually occupying the entire screen, so the user really has no way to post.

Oh wait! I know this one!
You're talking about Windows 8 Metro, right?
http://hothardware.c...mall_Start-Metro.jpg

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:21 AM »
NOW you come up with the idea as I've started to learn how to not click POST during a heavy drinking session...

Wha? We're supposed to be sober when we post?  :o
I thought that was the point of the net, all the fun of chatting with friends and none of the evil DUI arrests!  ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 03:26 AM »

Part of it comes from having made a complete and total ass of yourself, with all the guilt, remorse, and embarrassment that goes along with that. Several times. At least.

For those that don't drink, if they monkey up once, they'll still never be able to get to that point of being shitfaced and knowing to not click POST. It takes practice! Lots of it! Like, cases and cases of beer, vodka, whiskey... It's a serious financial investment! ;D

Another thing that helps, is being able to figure out that the last sentence you typed took 5 minutes. And it was only 10 words. That you retyped several times each because you're so blasted that you can barely type. And when you can become aware of that, then it's only a slight, tiny step more to becoming aware of the high probability that clicking POST will make you look like a total fool. :D

I would encourage people to break out a bottle of your favourite liquor, some ice, mixer, and your favourite heavy bottom high-ball glass (because when you really drink, those tiny whiskey glasses are for pussies!), and try it out! Get into some forum with highly controversial topics, or lots of trolls. Probably make a new account though... See if you can make the account sober first and write it down, as you might not remember later. Then, see if you've made an idiot of yourself. If you did, well, forget that account and try, try again! ;D

Nah, not my style. I practiced hard to run Neo-Turing tests while partying. I'm under 1% aggressive posts in my net career, and under 5% of glaring typos, and I've had my share of mixers! But then, that's been my obscure honor code. "Partying is no excuse for a bad post."

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:28 AM »
I thought that was the point of the net, all the fun of chatting with friends and none of the evil DUI arrests!   ;D

You can only run down massive egos online. ;)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 03:37 AM »
Nah, I'm a pacifist. Running down an ego "hurts me more than it hurts them".

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 04:01 AM »
NOW you come up with the idea as I've started to learn how to not click POST during a heavy drinking session...

Wha? We're supposed to be sober when we post?  :o
I thought that was the point of the net, all the fun of chatting with friends and none of the evil DUI arrests!  ;D

Ooops! Guess I put out the wrong impression there! Need to correct that, but let me go grab a beer first...

Just in case you thought I was joking...

resized_IMAG0248_816x488.jpgURGENT Board Mod Request: Sobriety Mod

Hell no! Drinking makes the Internet MUCH better. And most other things in life as well! :P

I'm pretty good up to about a half bottle of vodka, then I start to get, well, y'know... unpredictable. I might rant like a fool or who knows? (Unpredictable in the happy happy sense that is, and not in the belligerent sense.)

Of course, I get my twisted sense of humour going, and good Lord... At the bottom of a bottle of whiskey, I know darn well that whatever I have to say can wait!

So, yeah! Drinking is great while surfing. You just need to know your limit. Kind of like driving. ;) But you get to drink a lot more and still post! :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:13 AM »
Ah...Schoolboys! You just gotta love 'em.  :P ;D

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 08:39 AM »
http://www.breathaly...-Kit-p/al9000usb.htm

It includes "pc connectivity software", so I wonder if it  can be set up like an automobile ignition breathalyzer interlock  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 12:16 PM »

It includes "pc connectivity software", so I wonder if it  can be set up like an automobile ignition breathalyzer interlock  :)

Ha! Good find...I was just about to make a recommendation we just put a breathalyzer on the OP's PC. :)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 12:18 PM »

It includes "pc connectivity software", so I wonder if it  can be set up like an automobile ignition breathalyzer interlock  :)

$344.95 !

DC discount?  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 12:30 PM »
FWIW we'd lose an awful lot of Renegade's entertainment value if that request ever did get implemented.  :P

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 01:26 PM »
FWIW we'd lose an awful lot of Renegade's entertainment value if that request ever did get implemented.  :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 01:41 PM »
Just for Renegade: The "I'm drunk right now!" emoticon.

;-}

Enjoy. We luv ya! ;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03 AM »
40hz, great idea...but I was picturing more the emoticon where the little guy is running around in a circle waving his arms around....but Renegade's version would have a beer mugs in the hands he was waving. ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Well, I must say... Just got back home after a few weeks in Asia, and my home brew is damn good! Mind you, it's pretty explosive when popping a bottle, but it's fine beer.

I should probably say, ;-} * 0.75 though, as I'm not that far ahead, but I'll work on it. ;D

Now, once I clear out the backlog of work I have, it's back to the brew story to get more and start brewing again. :D

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I need to get back to some serious drinking. :P

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 02:45 PM »
Well, I must say... Just got back home after a few weeks in Asia, and my home brew is damn good! Mind you, it's pretty explosive when popping a bottle, but it's fine beer.

I should probably say, ;-} * 0.75 though, as I'm not that far ahead, but I'll *drink* on it. ;D

Now, once I clear out the backlog of *brew* I have, it's back to the brew store to get more and start brewing again. :D

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I need to get back to some serious drinking. :P

Tweaked that for you :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 03:18 PM »
Well, while I've had a few, let me post a few thoughts:

Definitely one of the best.

And one more from perhaps one of the best albums ever:

And perhaps one of the best Priest tunes of all time:

Keep in mind, that this is the stuff that all your heroes listen to. ;)

Sigh... Time for bed... :(