ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Et tu, Brute?

(1/1)

rjbull:
Carried over from another thread, Re: SnagIt 11

SSC is complicated and I can't always get it to behave.-rjbull (March 08, 2012, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

say what? how so?

you people are brutal!  >:(-mouser (March 08, 2012, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

<sigh>  I'm an occasional user, and even I don't have any problems with just making screen captures, as such.  My troubles start when I try annotating them.  It's a mixture of things I don't understand, facets of the UI that don't work well for me, consequences of too-easy fumble-fingers, and probably expecting things that SSC can't do, may not even be designed for.

Using SSC 3.00.00 portable on Vista Home Premium, UAC On, user account.  Here's my personal list of glitches and confusion.  Going through them in itself has made a few things slightly clearer.

1) Drawing arrows the wrong way round
I could have sworn that yesterday I started drawing arrows from the tip to tail, and had them point away from the target.  Today, they're pointing the right way.  Which is supposed to happen?  Maybe arrow sense could be user-selectable?

2) Removing last addition
I'm drawing an arrow.  Oops, I meant to draw a highlight box.  How do I remove the arrow?  Ctrl+Z Undo doesn't work.  Maybe a need to optionally toggle auto-save after every edit, so that reversion is possible?

3) Text opacity
When adding a text object, it looks solid, like ink on a piece of thick paper.  When I finish it - zap, it goes transparent.  I've fiddled with the transparency thing, but don't really know what to do with it, and it doesn't seem to make much difference.  I think the default should be opaque text on an opaque background, that overwrites what's underneath without show-through.  Yesterday I had a few Access Violation errors when adding text objects, but don't have a handle on them.  SSC worked OK later.

4) Multiple annotations
I want to add several highlight boxes to a screenshot.  I make the first one.  Go for the second - oh, the highlight features pane disappeared.  Have to pick highlight icon again.  Maybe the details pane could be made sticky if required.

5) File saving
The file name appears in the box under the work area.  I want to change it to something meaningful in context, so start writing in the "Name:" field.  Oh, I meant to save it in a different directory, easier to get at.  Press Ctrl+E.  But that shows the original auto-generated name, not the one I've just started to change.  I was going to ask for it to work more like a text editor: in fact I suppose it already does, but not remembering the change is an invitation to frustration.

6) Wild zooming
I didn't know why this was happening before - I'd touch something and find the image size zooming wildly, quite nausea-inducing.  The "zooming track" is close to the vertical toolbar, and it's rather easy to hit it by failing to hit an icon square on.  I think now the main reason is my accidentally touching the right edge of my laptop's mousepad, which acts as a scroll wheel.  This is easily overlooked when staring at the screen, so I'd like a little tick box that says "Lock zoom."

7) Changing colours
Occasionally I want an arrow or something in a different colour.  I still find that SSC usually draws the next arrow in the old colour, with only subsequent ones in the correct colour.

tomos:
I generally dont mess around with screenshots much, but when I do/did, my problem was with changing between "edit" & "create" objects:

GUI improvement for changing between edit & create objects? (SC)

It is something you get used to, if you use it regularly, but for the first time user - or even for me when I hadn't used it in a long time, it was a real struggle :-[

rjbull:
my problem was with changing between "edit" & "create" objects-tomos (March 10, 2012, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I've hit that one too  :(

GUI improvement for changing between edit & create objects? (SC)

It is something you get used to, if you use it regularly, but for the first time user - or even for me when I hadn't used it in a long time, it was a real struggle :-[-tomos (March 10, 2012, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
You worked harder than I did at sorting it out.  One doesn't always have the time or energy to struggle with powerful tools, so it makes sense for casual users to have simpler ones to hand for emergencies.

On the other hand, powerful tools have their place.  I just saw this feature in the "What's New?" list for HyperSnap 7:
Big enhancements to HyperSnap drawing editor - all shapes drawn are now kept as separate objects. You may select them at any time, move, modify, delete. You may also imprint them permanently on the image at any time.
--- End quote ---
But... HyperSnap is another complicated one!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version