topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Canadian SOPA-clone looming!  (Read 4524 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Canadian SOPA-clone looming!
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:51 PM »

http://www.canada.co...d/6272576/story.html

"OTTAWA — The Conservative government is set to reveal whether it's going to tighten copyright legislation that could affect how consumers share content online.
With three attempts to update Canada's copyright law since 2008, the end is near with amendments expected to be introduced Monday at a special House of Commons committee studying the legislation."

http://www.michaelge...ntent/view/6366/125/
Closing Time on C-11: Help Stop the Final Push for SOPA-Style Reforms & Efforts to Gut Fair Dealing
Thursday March 08, 2012
The long road of Canadian copyright reform is nearing an end as the Bill C-11 committee concluded hearing from witnesses yesterday and indicated that it will begin a "clause-by-clause" review of the bill starting on Monday. While there will still be some additional opportunities for debate - third reading in the House of Commons, Senate review - the reality is that next week's discussion will largely determine the future of Canadian copyright law.

http://openmedia.ca/SayNo
Dear Parliament: Say no to the Internet Lockdown

Somebody wake up Freedom-Cody!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Canadian SOPA-clone looming!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:05 PM »
Every time I read the news I can't help thinking what a really cool country Canada would be if they could just figure out a way put a leash and muzzle on their current government. 8)

(Same goes for here BTW.) ;D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Canada is US-lite™

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Canada is US-lite™

As long as Canada can produce somebody like Joni Mitchell, Canada will never be "lite" anything AFAIC.  ;)   

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:25 PM »
Cue "O Fortuna"...

Renegade seethes...

Timed to music, Renegade bursts into furious tirade of profanity and obscenity...

etc. etc. etc.

You get the idea.

I emailed my MP from my home constituency there. I got a response...

Dear Mr. Smyth,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Bill C-11. I apologize for the delay in response. I am always happy to respond to the questions and concerns of my constituents.

For your information, this bill has been debated at reading for a total of 20 hours and 15 minutes as of February 6th, 2012, and a total of 74 speeches have been made on this bill by all parties.

It is currently being studied by a special committee, whose members are: Conservative Members of Parliament Scott Armstrong, Peter Braid, Paul Calandra, Dean Del Mastro, Mike Lake, Phil McColeman, and Rob Moore; NDP MPs Charlie Angus, Tyrone Benskin, Andrew Cash, and Pierre Nantel; and Liberal MP Geoff Regan.

Please be assured that I have forwarded your concerns to the Hon. Christian Paradis, Minister of Industry, for his consideration, as this issue is within his purview.

I appreciate you taking the time to write regarding this issue, and I will certainly take into account the opinions of my constituents before voting on this bill.

If you have any further questions please contact my office.

Yours sincerely,

Hon. Gary Goodyear, P.C., M.P.
Cambridge-North Dumfries

This assault on free speech is worldwide. No... not an assault... A blitzkrieg. There are so many attacks in such a short period. The coincidence is uncanny. This is an orchestrated, international offensive against free speech. It is nothing short of pre-emptive war against the citizens of the world. C-11 is merely war against Canadians.

Yet again, it bears repeating:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

And regarding the fiends behind the scenes that pull the strings, Thomas Jefferson had some good things to say:

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered... I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
-Thomas Jefferson

And for all those censors and tyrants out there, and to those that support C-11, for them, the Trudeau Salute:

M998.51.1.jpg

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:47 PM »
"This assault on free speech is worldwide. No... not an assault... A blitzkrieg. There are so many attacks in such a short period. The coincidence is uncanny. This is an orchestrated, international offensive against free speech. It is nothing short of pre-emptive war against the citizens of the world. C-11 is merely war against Canadians. "

I agree, there is something alarming about the speed at which this is going on. I practically slept through the War On Terror as it dragged on for years. The War On Drugs never really affected me.

This copyright thing has skyrocketed so fast. A key question that keeps being asked is that how is it that the media lobbies are beating Facebook+Google+Microsoft+Apple? Maybe they're not, maybe those big corps tucked little clauses of their own in. Power is fun!

I'm on the verge of commissioning a "Copyright Game" based on real news. "Ooopsie, what was that? Did you ... share... a ... song? Penalty for you!" And Slashdot just had an article on NP-Hard games - this would be one of them! Life under those regimes would be like old Soviet Prisons!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48 PM »
(Semi OffTopic) And why the **** aren't people talking about PC-FIPA? 

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21 PM »
(Semi OffTopic) And why the **** aren't people talking about PC-FIPA? 

Oh, but think of the CHILDREN! You aren't against CHILDREN? Are you?

Any time I hear that nonsense, my BS alerts go up... Someone is up to something...

At the same time:

Ethicists Argue Killing Newborn Babies Should Be Allowed

Australian Bill Allows for Sterilizations Without Parental Consent at Any Age

(I posted those in another thread, but they're also relevant here.)

Kill babies? Sterilize children? Huh?!? WTF?!?

These people aren't trying to protect anything for us. They are trying to take away our freedom. They are trying to enslave us.

@TaoPhoenix - Thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware of it before.

Here's a link or 3 on it:

http://mysticpolitic...ercent-of-americans/

http://www.itworld.c...97-percent-americans

http://w3djyt.tumblr...-still-invading-your

They couldn't ram it down our throats with SOPA or PIPA, so they're trying to ram it down our throats another way.

Like I said before, these people will be back trying to ram the same toxins down our throats some other way... They won't stop.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker