ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Excel and third-party clipboard managers

<< < (2/3) > >>

AndyM:
I've been using an old version of ClipCache Pro with an old version of Excel (2002) with no problems for a long time.

J-Mac:
Doesn’t really matter which one you use, if you are using Excel 2007 or 2010 the Office Clipboard simply will not get along with the clip utility. I HATE this about MS Office, and I'll probably drop Office altogether. I'm trying to find out if Softmaker Office acts this way with the clipboard.

BTW you can turn off the Office clipboard in Excel 2010 - I did but now I get errors whenever I copy anything in Excel. This is one Microsoft program "feature" that really sucks worse than most!

Jim

MerleOne:
Doesn’t really matter which one you use, if you are using Excel 2007 or 2010 the Office Clipboard simply will not get along with the clip utility. I HATE this about MS Office, and I'll probably drop Office altogether. I'm trying to find out if Softmaker Office acts this way with the clipboard.

BTW you can turn off the Office clipboard in Excel 2010 - I did but now I get errors whenever I copy anything in Excel. This is one Microsoft program "feature" that really sucks worse than most!

Jim
-J-Mac (May 22, 2012, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

We have Excel 2007 @ work, and clipcache latest version seems to work fine, but I have not tested it extensivey. What do you mean by "it doesn't get along" ?

J-Mac:
Hi Merle.

What bugs me - and pretty much always has with Excel - is that the Office Clipboard takes over and tries to abandon whatever other program you use (the regular Windows Clipboard if none) and then it allows you to copy and paste ONLY until you press the Enter key - for any reason - or the Escape key. Maybe a few others I'm missing here in my haste to post this. You'll know it ahead of time if you see the dotted, blinking line surrounding whatever you copied. Then that bit of copied material is gone and you have to re-copy it. I absolutely hate that. I always use the Enter key to complete any entries in Excel and like I said that kills the ability to use the copied cell(s). Now if I open the ClipMate window it says something like "Clipboard has no data", or ""Clipboard data has been erased", depending on exactly how Excel tried to clear the clipboard. Of course all my copied data is still there in ClipMate but if I want to paste it I need to cursor back down to the entry and then paste it. It's just a lot of extra crap that I should not have to do.

So I searched and found that I can turn off the damn Office Clipboard. Hooray! Except now anytime I copy anything at all in Excel I get the error message pop-up that is attached below. Not once but anywhere from twice to who the hell knows! If it just keeps popping up too much Excel closes all by its lonesome. BTW it has nothing to do with copying an image; whatever I copy Excel pops that message up. If you Google the problem you'll find thousands of hits but no solutions. I'm thinking a fine solution might be going back to using Softmaker Office and only use OneNote from my Office Pro software.

Jim

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

MerleOne:
Did you try using ClipCache instead of ClipMate & Excel ? If I copy some cells within Excel then paste them at another location, then press escape so that the dotted blinking line is no longer visible, I can return to Clipcache, copy the last entry, and paste it again in Excel.  I just tried with cells having simple numbers, not formulas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version