ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I Pirate - An Open Letter to Content Creators

<< < (9/16) > >>

nosh:
And you aren't really suggesting that malware is OK so long as it doesn't cause any harmful side effects, are you?
--- End quote ---

I'm saying most people who pirate don't care. Your speech may be rousing but the theater's empty.  :P

J-Mac:
db90h, you talk as if software pirates invented the rootkit! Please try to remember exactly WHO first introduced most of the public to the "joys" of rootkits!

(Hint: Not to mention Sony BMG by name... -Oops! - but could it have been an overbearing corporation claiming to protect their copyrighted material?? So much for blaming pirates, db90h!)

Jim

40hz:
db90h, you talk as if software pirates invented the rootkit! Please try to remember exactly WHO first introduced most of the public to the "joys" of rootkits!

(Hint: Not to mention Sony BMG by name... -Oops! - but could it have been an overbearing corporation claiming to protect their copyrighted material?? So much for blaming pirates, db90h!)

Jim
-J-Mac (March 10, 2012, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

In all fairness, I don't think it's all that relevant who may or may not have invented the rootkit. Or who first attempted to deploy one. It's still unacceptable no matter who did it, when they did it, or for what purpose. Rootkitting someone is wrong.

So let's not get too bogged down in finger pointing or arguing 'tit for tat' and "You're another!" This is too important an issue to allow ourselves go off on tangents.
 :)

Innuendo:

(Hint: Not to mention Sony BMG by name... -Oops! - but could it have been an overbearing corporation claiming to protect their copyrighted material?? So much for blaming pirates, db90h!)-J-Mac (March 10, 2012, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, J-Mac! I was just getting ready to make that point!

db90h, under the traditional definition, perhaps piracy and warez could be construed as being the leading attack vector for malware.

However, what if we broaden the definition? Malware is by definition software that performs unintended, usually harmful, unwanted actions to a user's PC. It's a brave, new world. By that definition, a lot of forms of DRM can fall into the definition of malware!

The installation of games that cause performance slowdowns or optical drives to (no lie!) disappear! The mandate that a user's PC must be connected to the internet in order to be used! And what of J-Mac's Rhapsody story above? His own ripped CDs were commandeered and rendered unusable by actions by a piece of software that could only fall under the description of a virus or trojan.

None of this could ever be construed as being wanted behavior by a PC owner. Therefore, I would make the bold claim that DRM is merely a sub-species of malware.

Piracy as the leading vector of malware? I think it may lose to Steam.

Innuendo:
So let's not get too bogged down in finger pointing or arguing 'tit for tat' and "You're another!" This is too important an issue to allow ourselves go off on tangents.-40hz (March 10, 2012, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think it's a tangent at all. It's been put forth in the thread that piracy should never be considered an option as this is where malware comes from. J-Mac was merely making the counter-point that even if one were to never pirate anything, one might become a victim of malware through the actions of a 'respectable' corporation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version