ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to win friends. Microsoft to CIOs: Adopt Windows 8 - or else.

<< < (4/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
OT ResponseSo be of good cheer. There is a good life after computers and the internet. No computer. But there are still paper books and home made musical instruments! That's the path I'll be heading down. Maybe even with a little bit of that Miracle Tonic every so often to ease me down the road. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (March 08, 2012, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the videos - they really cheered me up. Now all I need is a fret saw!  :-*

40hz:
So be of good cheer. There is a good life after computers and the internet. No computer. But there are still paper books and home made musical instruments! That's the path I'll be heading down. Maybe even with a little bit of that Miracle Tonic every so often to ease me down the road. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (March 08, 2012, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the videos - they really cheered me up. Now all I need is a fret saw!  :-*
-Carol Haynes (March 08, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Warning:
OT Reply! Feel free to ignore.Glad they did. John is an amazing guy. Love his attitude. When someone asked where he obtained some of his more unusual materials he said: the usual places - every tip I pass when I go out walking.

And fret saw?

Hmm...Maybe not. Check this and this out. I'm going to try it this weekend on a CBG project I've got half completed.

Also check out Uncle Bob's site when you get a chance. He's used 100lb. mono-filament fishing line for frets with good results. Works well and I think it looks rather sexy. Plus, doing the continuous wrap he does is considerably easier that the traditional individual fret tie you'd use for viols, gambas, and other Renaissance era instruments. Details are on this page.

Check it out:

:Thmbsup:

xtabber:
Woody Leohnard has posted an extremely negative take on Windows 8 on Windows Secrets. It's a lot more insightful than most of his stuff.

Microsoft's business is to make money. PCs are already a commodity business from the hardware end. For the vast majority of business applications, a 3-year old PC running XP is all that is needed, and that isn't going to change anytime soon.  The only advances in hardware that need a more capable operating system are in the multimedia end of things (video, music, games) and that is shifting rapidly to smartphones, tablets and probably other touch or voice controlled devices in the next few years.

Microsoft is once again behind the curve, as they were with the graphical interface in the late 80's and the Internet in the early 90's.  They were able to pull ahead in both cases because they faced much weaker competition.  Today, they are up against not only Apple, but Google and Amazon. Not a good place for them to be.

Carol Haynes:
OT ResponseAnd fret saw?

Hmm...Maybe not. Check this and this out. I'm going to try it this weekend on a CBG project I've got half completed.
-40hz (March 08, 2012, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oops meant band saw!

40hz:
And fret saw?

-40hz (March 08, 2012, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oops meant band saw!

-Carol Haynes (March 08, 2012, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Warning!

OT. Feel free to ignore.For my first forays I went to the local home improvement center and just selected several feet of the straightest dimensioned maple (1/2 x 2) I could find for the necks, and some nice clear poplar (1/4 x 2) for the fretboards. The tension on CBGs is significantly lower then on a standard guitar so you don't necessarily need a truss rod - although they can't hurt. Many accomplished builders either skip truss rods entirely or route and glue a stiffener bar (metal or carbon) in place instead. John accomplishes the same thing by laminating his necks, a technique that's also becoming popular.

FWIW A few hand tools (awl, steel ruler, knife, finetooth backsaw, hand drill, sand paper, wood rasp, screwdriver - cheap soldering iron for the electronics) were all I used to build my first few. I didn't have much spare cash at the time to go out and order "real luthier tools" from a supplier. This was just stuff I already owned. Despite their humble origins (and me not really knowing what I was doing at that point) they all sounded quite good. Even the first one.

Gotta love that! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version