ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to win friends. Microsoft to CIOs: Adopt Windows 8 - or else.

(1/9) > >>

40hz:
OK. I know Microsoft has never been big on diplomacy or subtlety. But I think they might have finally gone insane - - or maybe just drank so much of their own Kool-Aid that they don't care what anybody else thinks anymore.

From the folks over at ReadWriteWeb.com comes this capsule summary of Microsoft's keynote at CeBIT in Hannover Germany (link to full article here):

Microsoft: Consumers Will Force Enterprises to Adopt Windows 8
By Scott M. Fulton, III / March 7, 2012 2:00 PM

CIOs and managers who answer to CIOs attended the keynote sessions at the CeBIT conference in Hannover yesterday expecting Microsoft to explain to them, for the first time, where the business value in Windows 8 will come from. What they got may have been a bit of a shock: It was a demonstration of all the new Windows 8 features that Microsoft expects consumers to flock to in high numbers.

It was followed by this argument, by the company's Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Turner: Employees will be bringing devices into the workplace that run Windows 8, whether it wants them or not. Running Windows 8 will be as simple as plugging in a USB stick, even in a Windows 7 machine. So enterprises had better "get ahead" now, and embrace the wave rather than try to repel it.

"When you think about the opportunity that we have with big data, we also see an explosion as it relates to the consumerization of IT," Turner told CeBIT attendees. "What we see within the consumerization of IT is the ability to have a tremendous digital work style really get married with the convergence, basically, of a digital lifestyle."

It was this conjugation, if you will, that set the theme for Microsoft's entire presentation: Since employees want to do what they want to do, there's no point in trying to stop them.
--- End quote ---

Wow! First locking all Metro apps into their app store; then trying to lock all the hardware in with their Windows 8 Secure Boot strategy; and now this...

They really are starting to sound a lot like Apple lately aren't they...or maybe even the Borg? :-\

zridling:
Maybe it's time to try Linux after all.

(Skip to the end for the joke.)

nudone:
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb/windows...

millenium = rubbish.
xp = good.
vista = rubbish.
seven = good.
eight = rubbish (will be)
nine = good.

(We all know the above.)

That's the pattern Microsoft work to. I'm looking forward to Win 9, I think it will be pretty good with all the mistakes ironed out from Win 8.

Carol Haynes:
Not sure nudone - I don't think there will ever be a Windows 9.

The next one will be Metro 2 and the "legacy desktop" will be gone altogether. MS are too wedded to their new 'philosophy' and are proving incredibly deaf to any dissenting comments.

This has nothing to do with what customers want, it is all money - they want a piece of the App market, having seen the cash cow that is Apple.

Personally I don't think the end of that video is a joke - I think that is what a lot of the general public will think and suddenly Apple will sell a lot of laptops and desktops and with a bigger economy of scale they will (if they have any sense) start reducing prices.

Microsoft started the pad and touch screen revolution but I think as far as the general public are concerned Apple has already won the war.

nudone:
You're probably right.

Perhaps Windows 7 will become like another XP; people/businesses will stick with what they know and like. Just like you could (sometimes) "downgrade" to XP when buying a new setup, perhaps we can hope to "downgrade" to Win7. Wishful thinking I know.

If we are stuck with Win 8 and all the metro incarnations that follow, perhaps the best we can hope for is all the GUI utils (like from Stardock) that will be available to put a bit of sanity back into the interface.

I wouldn't be too surprised if someone does a Metro App that resembles the Win XP/7 Theme. (I've no idea what you can do with Metro apps.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version