topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnagIt 11  (Read 22933 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SnagIt 11
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 06:40 AM »
I think we (and include myself) are to blame - we all pestered mouser for features and he gave them to us. Now we bitch about how much stuff is in there ;)

Sorry mouser!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 08:19 AM »
Ah well, everyone should find the perfect program for the way their brain works -- we all have different needs.

But if you really want a minimalist tool, try my MiniCap, the little sister to Screenshot Captor -- it basically works via commandline and does not stay resident.

Just remember that Screenshot Captor was designed to stay completely out of your way until you need it so I hope people won't be put off my all the things it can do and focus on how they can configure it to work best for them.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 08:28 AM »
I have version 10, but am reluctant to upgrade to 11
Have you noticed how much was taken OUT of v.11?
-cranioscopical (March 07, 2012, 04:18 PM)

Looking at their list, they've removed seven features and added six. No more screenshots of full-screen command-line or dirextx apps? Removed web capture? I've never used any of these myself, but they sound rather useful. Weird!

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Hi Folks,

I think I will mention that ScreenPresso looks like another nice program in the genre.  I've been using it the last couple of weeks for that quick region shot.  Designed for some upload capabilities. Granted, I need to go back and compare to SSC, Winsnap, etc.  Anyway, for my limited use it has been nice, the only "problem" being an occasional short delay if my CPU stuff is high on the system.  Maybe I should tweak it to a high priority with Process This-and-That.

Steven

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 01:03 PM »
But if you really want a minimalist tool, try my MiniCap, the little sister to Screenshot Captor -- it basically works via commandline and does not stay resident.

My favourite *easy* screen capture "programme" was minicap via FARR (as an alias). I lost track of it after my last hardware update. Was my favourite - would be nice if it came with FARR by default (dont know if that would cause other headaches). Just re-"installed" the alias, it came with an outdated minicap so I wont link to it (I replaced the minicap with up-to-date files, will see how I get on...)

Edit/ although I see there's an Alias only download that presumably works with an installed minicap
http://tuckndar.dcme.../download.php?list.3
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Hypersnap 6 [...]

I'm using version 7.  [...] it can be installed on two or more computers that I own, as long as I'm the only one using it.  I have it on my netbook as well as my Win7 desktop.  I don't have it on a USB stick, and I don't know how the licensing works with that.  You might write to Greg (the developer) and ask him.

There are authors that only allow installation on one USB stick, and maybe a USB installation excludes HD.  So maybe I'd better e-mail Hyperionics.  Good idea, thanks.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 03:47 PM »
I need to go back and compare to SSC, Winsnap, etc.
-Steven Avery (March 09, 2012, 08:40 AM)

The latest WinSnap is 4.0.3.  The 4 series now have basic annotating/editing features, relatively simple and easy to use, if they give you as much control as you want.  But there are drawbacks.  WinSnap 4 won't save each screenshot to a new file for me.  This has been reported by someone else on the forum, but the author hasn't seen it himself (IIRC).  And, there's no portable version.  Not sure if that was simply to avoid problems with Win7 or some other reason, but if you want portable WinSnap you have to use v3, which doesn't have annotations built in.

Still, WinSnap has a generous and lifetime license.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 05:26 PM »
First, what the heck happened here  :tellme:

I've had a similar issue with my own software. Users asked for lots of features, and eventually I ended up with so many it's almost absurd ;p.

In defense of SSC, I do NOT think it is complex to use. That's just me though. It's not as simple as say the built-in Snipping Tool in Vista+, but it has lots of good features, and is generally easy to use, in my opinion. That is why I still use it.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 03:58 AM »
I am sorry if my comment came across as a criticism of SSC, I think it is a very impressive program, and I have the deepest respect for all the work mouser has put into it :-*.

But SSC is an advanced tool that solves advanced problems and that means it is not simple -- I am sorry but it really isn't compared to others, and if you think it is, I am fairly certain it is because you are biased by your experience with software, your knowledge of SSC, and love for it :-[.

Let's consider first user experience for a second -- imagine you are not the super techy computer person you are, and that you need to send a screenshot of a window on your screen to tech support, so you go hunt for a screenshot tool and install SSC.

The first thing you are greeted with is this window:

initial.png

A fairly large window, where nothing below the menu has any use at the moment since you haven't taken any screenshots yet.

You may start by looking for a button to press, but the only ones are on the right instead of top or left, and none of them do anything yet.

So you have to go to the menu .. oh the menu .. 11 menus with a total of 107 :o entries. That doesn't put you off though, you aim straight for the Capture menu, and while you wonder what the heck the first entry "entire Workspace" means as you move your mouse over it, you find the entry that says something about capturing a window: "Capture Active window".

Merrily you click that, and the SSC window disappears and a screenshot is taken of what is most likely your browser or the folder where the SSC installer was saved, because it's the last window that had focus before SSC.

This gets you this window:

captured.png

Frankly a very good idea -- a window showing your screenshot and asking what to do about it, some of the other tools I've tried should have had that. While you wonder a bit about the two buttons to keep the screenshot and either show it or hide it, and what thumbnail does, you click the discard button because it wasn't the right window.

:huh:

So, you realize that SSC is still running even though it just disappeared, and you find the icon in the system tray, and lets say you right-click it. 23 menu entries. What is entire workspace again? Oh well, you learned from your mistake and click the window you actually needed to take a screenshot of so that is the active window, and then you click that little arrow thing in the system tray of Windows 7 to bring up the hidden icons, right-click on the SSC icon and select "Capture Active window", and you get this:

looking_black.png

A screenshot of a hidden empty window associated with the system tray popup.

At this point you go back and check the menu and find the Ctrl+PrtScr shortcut and use that to finally capture the right window, you click the Send To.. button on the captured image window and select "Send via email to.." to send your screenshot to tech support.

sending.png

Right, what e-mail program is it using? What account is it going to be sent from? What the heck is %comments%? You enter the e-mail address and a suitable topic, and just before you click Send, no wait, OK, you realize there was something odd about the two TO lines up there. "leave blank if email program won't send" .. a bit cryptic perhaps .. but the first TO has (name) after it, and the second (email), so you move the email address to the second one and press OK.

No indication of success or failure, I don't know if this actually attempts to do anything, but the e-mail never arrived. From clicking the other option, "Configure SendTo List", I gather you have to setup something first?

Ok, I know I have heavily exaggerated the stupidity of the imaginary user here, and looked for the most absurd string of mishaps I could find for comic value, and for that I apologize, but compare it to what you might get with FastStone Capture:

faststone.png

Easy bunch of icons, click the window you want and click the capture active window button, you get a window showing your screenshot and there is an e-mail button at the top, which sends you to your normal e-mail program with the screenshot attached, and you are on your way.

Or GreenShot, which starts in the system tray, but the right-click menu lets you capture a window by showing you a list of active windows with popup thumbnails, and after you capture the right one, there is again an e-mail button that sends you to your normal e-mail program with the screenshot attached.

Now, can any of these do even a tenth of the stuff SSC can? No, SSC is advanced .. but you have to admit, it's not simple .. not if all you wanted was to send a screenshot of a window to tech support .. not unless you know how to use it already.

And if SSC attempted to be as simple as FastStone or GreenShot to use, then I am certain it would be less powerful at doing the advanced stuff it does, it's just different software for different needs -- office suites for office work, notepad for grocery lists :D.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 07:29 AM »
To be fair you don't have to wade through stuff - just press the hot key!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Some useful suggestions about improving SC here -- i'll addess them but i'm going to split this thread off so we dont hijack the snagit thread further.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 02:38 PM »
and I can't always get it to behave.

say what? how so?

you people are brutal!  >:(

Taken to Et tu, Brute? in the SSC area.  And my "problems" aren't with getting captures per se, but mainly with editing them afterwards.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:42 PM by rjbull, Reason: clarification »