ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Request for information about DonationCoder

<< < (3/3)

db90h:
Mouser, you are saying you might prefer a non-virtual machine based server. May I suggest instead going to the Cloud? Things have changed. The Cloud is now very robust and SECURE. It *is* a virtual machine, but not like the old days. It is so cool. You can create images of your server, clone them for load balancing, upgrade or downgrade your RAM and storage space as needed, on demand, pay for what you use, etc.. It is not only cheaper, but more reliable. You NEVER run the risk of not being able to handle traffic because in 5 minutes you can have your server upgraded to WHATEVER level you need. I am on the Cloud these days, and have found it EXTREMELY effective. I'm at RackSpace myself, which has industry leading up-time for sure.

It is A LOT better than older VPS's or virtual machines. Many of those were sitting on overloaded servers. A Cloud backed by Xen or other modern technology does a much better job.

HOWEVER, in your case, I'd use SingleHop's cloud, as they give you terabytes of free bandwidth, where-as Rackspace charges for bandwidth (though the cost is very small).

db90h:
OT: Another suggestion for future software... Many people are going to hate the removal of the Windows 8 Start Menu. Maybe FARR is the ultimate solution .. just something to look into. Others have already begun work on replacing it: http://www.avitricks.info/2012/03/get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8-consumer-preview.html ... but you have the 'free' advantage.

40hz:
Right now I think emotions are running rather high and are not setting the stage for a constructive dialog here. Since none of us are fully up on what's going on, or party to whatever lead up to original and subsequent posts,  I'd like to respectfully suggest restraint and good manners on the part of everybody when responding to this particular thread. :-)

mouser:
Thanks 40hz.  Yeah i think the best thing might be to close this topic on a high note and not drag it out.. Rather than that let me just ask that people not post on this thread unless they feel absolutely compelled to do so for some really good reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version