ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Request for information about DonationCoder

<< < (2/3) > >>

IainB:
Is it my imagination, or is @db90h making all kinds of insinuations here?
What brought this on?

Enquiring minds need to know.

mahesh2k:
Cheaper dedicated server with better uptime? I'm all eyes to read more ......

JoTo:
Hi db90h,

sorry i don't get your point.

A donation is at your free will, with no obligation at all. Neither for you, nor for the recipient of the donation. It's not a contract like in a business where you order, pay in advance and get what you ordered. So i don't see a right to have a look in the books or command what the donations have to be used for. EXCEPT if there is a special donation event (like the one we did in the past for collecting donations to give it to the AHK author and such - THAT donations are entrusted for a specific purpose and should only be used for the announced purpose of course).

Also, i see it more, that donations are for the PAST. For the hint i got from a member, for the work a member did, for an app i got from a member, for the work a member did. Notice past tense here! Of course a donation is an invest in the future too (motivation to go into a certain direction or whatnot), but there is still no way to force something by donations.

I agree of course, that if there are certain points where a good hint can help to save money (e.g. the server costs - suggesting a cheaper solution) is always welcome and should be followed if appropriate. But i think mouser would be the last person that refuses to follow a good advice, if all aspects fit our needs. But keep in mind: Price is not the whole picture. I just want to throw in speed, bandwidth, reliability, space and features, that are a few facts that matter too for a server; beside the price. A good tradeoff must be found here. And last but not least...a switch means work, and maybe a lot of work...so that should be counted in too. Mouser works voluntarily for DC and so he have to make the work in his free time. Nobody should and can't force him to do anything. He is our buddy and not our staff or servant!

Also, have you already noticed, that all donations made to DC are added to the members account as Credits (minus the money transfer fees of course)? And that the donating member can distribute that credits at his own will among other members, which, on the other side, are allowed to get the money paid out again? I don't know how often this happens and, to be honest, i'm not interested to know it either, but you have to subtract these sums from the assumed "income" of DC too.

Of course you could always decide to not donate anymore. That is the only way you can influence the way the money is spent and where the site will go. If the majority of the members agree with you, the mass will "force" mouser either to follow or fold DC. But that's again HIS decision, not ours.

Nevertheless, i'm very satisfied how DC is and what mouser do. I trust in him and i'm confident that he is a honest guy that stands behind the "donation" idea that is the tenor of DonationCoder site. And if i look back in the past, i still got more out of DC than i donated. Not all countable in money, but also in good ideas, time savings and last but not least in a whole bunch of hours of fun in good company. How would you account the fun factor in money? I can't!

And to prevent any sceptical repiles in advance:
Of course i get now $1000 from mouser out of the precious donations pot for saying and writing this post. I hope all members find this usage of the money very appropriate. :)

(And i hope too all readers have noticed that this last paragraph was pure joking and deep cynism!)

Just my 2ct. DC forever! WOOHOO!
Greetings
JoTo

db90h:
Cheaper dedicated server with better uptime? I'm all eyes to read more ......
-mahesh2k (March 07, 2012, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mine is cheaper with industry leading uptime ;o. I mean, come on, ANY quote you get from any major hosting provider is cheaper than DC's cost. Check SingleHop's prices for dedicated servers. Most smaller hosting providers (e.g. JustHost or HostMonster) are backed by dedicated providers like SingleHop, and the trick is to stay away from small hosting providers and go straight to the source. Yes, those I mentioned are shared hosting providers, but they ALSO resell dedicated servers, just charge you more than they pay, lol.

Check SingleHop's prices for yourself. See if you can figure a way that DC could possibly cost that much. Surely he is getting ripped off. Take action, the savings would be tremendous! Further, if set up years ago, surely the dedicated hardware has gotten old, and the price is now far higher than it should be. Is this not helpful? During a recent server switch, it took me less than a day to set up the server. It wouldn't take him long either, as it's so easy. I know he's competent enough to do it, and the PHP is cross-platform.. so he's not bound to Windows or linux.

I use SingleHop as a reference because I think everyone would agree they are one of maybe 3 of the largest dedicated hosting providers that back a large majority of servers not hosted in-house.

@JoTo: I am aware there is no obligation of mouser's to disclose his donations. However, given the community nature of the site, it might be helpful to increase trust in the site. If you get my drift. And perhaps I have no point, lol. It wouldn't be the first time.

I am also satisfied with mouser and his efforts. It was just a thought ....

As for animosity. I hold NO animosity towards mouser. I am sure he does not have any nefarious or bad intentions. That is not sarcasm, I am serious. Unlike him, I sadly sometimes do 'go apeshit', but this isn't one of those times. This was a simple request for more transparency. It just seems natural and would increase user trust, IMHO. When they see he is poor, they'll donate more.

db90h:
Repeating this again, as I post-edited (as usual):

As for animosity. I hold NO animosity towards mouser. I am sure he does not have any nefarious or bad intentions. That is not sarcasm, I am serious. Unlike him, I sadly sometimes do 'go apeshit', but this isn't one of those times. This was a simple request for more transparency. It just seems natural and would increase user trust, IMHO. When they see he is poor, they'll donate more. They'll trust that the donations are going to good causes, and he's no millionaire.

I wanted this point to be clear. Mouser is a great guy, with strong morals. I could only hope to be as 'stable' as he appears to be, to be honest, lol. I get emotionally disturbed by things, let my passion influence my judgement, etc.. He doesn't have those faults, though I'm sure, like any human, he does have faults.

Mouser is a man of integrity though, and that is something I would never question, so do not take this as questioning his integrity. There, stated there different ways, so hopefully clear ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version