ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

Concerned large number/size of copy actions too burdensome for ClipTrap

(1/4) > >>

nkormanik:
I'm doing some "heavy lifting" copy action, expecting ClipTrap to handle it all in stride.

(Then I'm wanting ChoppingList to nicely divide it all up for me.)

But I'm getting not-so-good results.  Some copies are getting skipped, or parts are getting lost in the shuffle.

Would it be possible to write-to-disk each copy action, so as to be extra careful that all copied stuff is safely getting saved?

If the whole huge set of copies is being held in memory, I fear that it's too much for ClipTrap to handle.

The added time of program response would be a small price to pay for extra assurance.

Please give me your opinion regarding these concerns.

Thanks, though, as always, for your excellent program.

Nicholas

skwire:
The clipboard can be a fickle beast.  That being said, I never really designed ClipTrap to be a heavy-duty clipboard manager.  I wrote it to fill a gap between having no clipboard manager and the heavy-duty ones.  If it's missing captures, I'm not sure writing the data to disk is really going to help anything, you know?  How much data are you copying at a time?

nkormanik:
The application I'm focusing on is MetaStock, a stock charting program.  MetaStock has no ability to allow saving a chart data to disk.  If you click on a graph line, however, you can then hit Ctrl-C, and this copies the data to the clipboard.

One can then paste into Excel, for example.

The data being copied would be a time-series of numbers, say Date, Price, Volume, etc.  And extend over time, daily, from the present going back perhaps ten years.  That's a whopper of data.

And I'm copying many such charts at once, having everything go to ClipTrap.  Then having  your ChoppingList divide it all up (by way of delimiter XXXXX).

Then I import these files as needed into Excel.

nkormanik:
By the way, in this particular use (long columns of time-line data being copied) in the options should I have 'word-wrap' on or off?

Not really sure.

skwire:
I'd think that word-wrap off would be less intensive but I don't have anything to back that up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version