ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why 24-bit/192kHz music files make no sense - and may be bad for you!

<< < (7/16) > >>

superboyac:
That's why a lot of people initially rip their collection to something lossless (like FLAC). Then when they want to do another lossy encode (maybe going from MP3 to OGG or advances in lossy encoding) they can just fire up a program that will automate the task overnight for them. You save a lot of time with this method, but of course the trade-off is maintaining two sets of your music & the huge amount of space the lossless set will consume.
-Innuendo (March 09, 2012, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
I resisted flac for years.  But with the huge hard drives now, and the upcoming abilities to pool drives easily can take care of that concern.  And that strategy is probably the best if you are unsure of how music formats are going to evolve.  It's interesting that mp3s are STILL the most robust, bang for the buck format after all these years.  I love mp3s, they changed my life starting in 1997.  I hadn't touched the piano for 10 years, and in 1998 I was back playing again.  And, of course, all the wonderful music I discovered since then.

40hz:
I swear by Exact Audio Copy for ripping. :-*

And my archive files are all FLAC. I'll convert something to MP3 if I need it in a tighter format. But at least with lossless formats all the music is there to begin with. Which gives you much more running room if you ever decide to re-encode.

And with the advent of mufti-tetrabyte drives (at affordable prices) filesize isn't the issue it used to be.

I'm sold on flac. :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
I swear by Exact Audio Copy for ripping. :-*

And my archive files are all FLAC. I'll convert something to MP3 if I need it in a tighter format. But at least with lossless formats all the music is there to begin with. Which gives you much more running room if you ever decide to re-encode.

And with the advent of mufti-tetrabyte drives (at affordable prices) filesize isn't the issue it used to be.

I'm sold on flac. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (March 09, 2012, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
EAC is rock solid.  I used it for years.  Now I use dbpoweramp because it's basically one-click...done.  But it costs a little bit.  I think I checked at some point if dbp was as good as EAC, and I think it was.  Or else I'd still be using EAC.

IainB:
But at least with lossless formats all the music is there to begin with.
-40hz (March 09, 2012, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure whether that is true.
I could be wrong, of course, but I think I recall reading somewhere that, if you ripped your music from CDs, then it was a rip of sampled music, where the loss from sampling was inaudible/undetectable by the human ear.
That is, the analogue copy is apparently the only copy that could actually contain all the music and thus be the closet approach to the original sound.

TaoPhoenix:

@iphigenie - If you do in fact decide you absolutely must re-encode 500 CDs, I can give you the name of an excellent psychologist I know. She specializes in the treatment of OCD.
 ;D
-40hz (March 09, 2012, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

But does she specialize in re-encoding CD's?  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version