ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why 24-bit/192kHz music files make no sense - and may be bad for you!

<< < (11/16) > >>

IainB:
...I don't really know how to describe it other than to say when you first cue an LP, just before the music starts you can hear "the room." That empty but not totally silent "space" that the music starts playing in a second or so later. That ambient space is something digital recordings don't have.
-40hz (March 11, 2012, 01:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

author=40hz link=topic=30209.msg281600#msg281600 date=1331549956]
Sad when general memory loss also starts affecting your ability to recall vocabulary. ;D

--- End quote ---

You described it perfectly though!
By the way, "lethologica" is a handy word. It is defined as:
the inability to remember a word or put your finger on the right word
--- End quote ---
       ;D

40hz:

By the way, "lethologica" is a handy word. It is defined as:
the inability to remember a word or put your finger on the right word
--- End quote ---
       ;D
-IainB (March 12, 2012, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll try to remember that.

IainB:
Yes, amusing. I find lethologica a difficult word to remember. Knowing it still hasn't helped me to recall those other difficult words.
"...It's on the tip of my tongue..."
--- End quote ---

Question: Why is "dyslexia" spelt the way it is?

Edvard:
Finally finished reading the article, and I very much agree with most of what was said.
What I didn't agree with, I'm sure was because I don't understand it.

I've always thought that 24/96 recording was a "holy grail" of sorts, knowing what little I know (or thought I knew) of Nyquist theories and how sampling works.
I knew that the lowest acceptable Nyquist sampling frequency was 2x the target top-end wavelength with 5x being the ideal and have subsequently lusted for (and sadly, never obtained) a 24/96 sound card for years.

Now I read this article and find that my 16/48 card is, for all intents and purposes, entirely sufficient?
Incredible! Astounding! Inconceivable! (that word...)
Still not entirely convinced (I swear I can hear the 'waterfalls' in the top cymbals of a CD track as opposed to virgin vinyl), but perhaps I may rest a little easier with the audio gear I have, knowing that there may be more psychoacoustics going on then I first gave credit to.  :-[

Still gonna buy that M-Audio 2496 off eBay when I start getting regular paychecks again... :Thmbsup:

Maybe a bit Off-Topic, but for the record, I know vinyl does have a different sound all it's own, and I attribute it to the RIAA curves used in the process of recording and playback, which are by necessity performed twice (high-pass curve for recording, low-pass for playback) and therefore bound by physics to sound different than tape.
I remember a friend of mine was a vinyl junkie and recorded (Chicago band on Touch and Go records) Arsenal's ep "Factory Smog is a Sign of Progress" on tape to listen at work.
I was so impressed with it that I bought the cassette (I was not a vinyl junkie before this), and I swear the songs were not the same ones I heard on the vinyl - they sounded THAT different.

Tuxman:
The whole topic seems to be focused on MP3. AFAIK ogg (aoTuV) works around some of the mentioned issues, I try to avoid using MP3 anyway... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version