ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why 24-bit/192kHz music files make no sense - and may be bad for you!

<< < (6/16) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I am not sure of my Khz settings, but the kbps side I have willingly dropped down to at least 128 kbps and even 96, because I use a bunch of sorta throwaway mp3 players to shuffle music back and forth between home to work, etc, and it's just ambient-noice-masking techno anyway, so I'm not trying to find that perfect flat seventh chord in some song.

40hz:
I'm not trying to find that perfect flat seventh chord in some song.
-TaoPhoenix (March 09, 2012, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most musicians trying to play one don't either. So no worries! ;D :Thmbsup:

40hz:
one think I am picking up from this is that I probably should re-encode all my CDs - that it is likely that the ogg encoder I used in 2000 could have been of lower quality than the one I could use now (although it was not the one in ffmpeg). And I have much better processing power now so it should be less painful.
Who am I kidding, this would take months - there's between 300 and 500 CDs in that basement, if not more :S
-iphigenie (March 09, 2012, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
That sort of tedium would be makework akin to sharpening a mountain of pencils.       :D
-IainB (March 09, 2012, 05:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

@iphigenie - If you do in fact decide you absolutely must re-encode 500 CDs, I can give you the name of an excellent psychologist I know. She specializes in the treatment of OCD.
 ;D

Innuendo:
one think I am picking up from this is that I probably should re-encode all my CDs - that it is likely that the ogg encoder I used in 2000 could have been of lower quality than the one I could use now (although it was not the one in ffmpeg). And I have much better processing power now so it should be less painful.-iphigenie (March 09, 2012, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Your logic is sound. LAME is a much better encoder than it was just 3 or 4 years ago. I'm sure other encoders have had similar strides in quality.

Who am I kidding, this would take months - there's between 300 and 500 CDs in that basement, if not more :S
--- End quote ---

That's why a lot of people initially rip their collection to something lossless (like FLAC). Then when they want to do another lossy encode (maybe going from MP3 to OGG or advances in lossy encoding) they can just fire up a program that will automate the task overnight for them. You save a lot of time with this method, but of course the trade-off is maintaining two sets of your music & the huge amount of space the lossless set will consume.

superboyac:
^^It's funny, I know...but  :-[ , I have done stuff like that and probably will do it again!

When I first graduated from college, I would give myself an hour every thursday night to meticulously burn, tag, and organize my music.  I've learned (only recently) how to let some of that go.  On one hand, I'm finding the experience taught me a lot of things about myself (in a weird way that I can't describe).  On the other hand, I could have been doing other things with the time...but I can say that for a ton of stuff I've done.

But I am an archivist.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version