topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 8:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can anyone be a Hacker!  (Read 4562 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can anyone be a Hacker!
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Hello folks,
             i just want to know about Hacking and what is it used for and can anyone be a hacker.

These are the following things i need to know i.e.,:
  • Who can be a Hacker:
  • What should one know to be a Hacker:
  • What are the programs used by a Hacker:
  • What are the languages a Hacker should know:

The reason why i am asking is because i have always heard this term and do not know properly what it means and what it signifies.
And although their are tons of material out their in the internet, i would like to know first hand from the members of the Donation Coder.

Thank you:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can anyone be a Hacker!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35 AM »
hacker is a meaningless term today.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:44 AM »
What Gwen said. Once upon a time the term hacker meant something. A hacker was someone with elite skills that could do wondrous things with computers (and nearly nothing was done out of malice, but rather the pursuit of knowledge).

However, these days a hacker just means someone who tries to take advantage of exploits in software through the use of scripts & automated programs that target certain vulnerabilities of other programs & platforms.

So...what kind of hacker do you want to be? If it's the former, study hard & get your IT certifications. You'll learn a lot and you'll be in demand in the job market.

If it's the latter type you wish to become, just hang out on IRC. It won't be hard to find the script kiddies.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:20 PM »
These days if you use your friend's Facebook account from their phone or PC because they didn't log out, your friend will likely say that you hacked their Facebook account.

The term "hacker" is generally used these days for just about any undesired access to accounts, systems, or information.

But I'd say yes, anyone can be a hacker (even a "real" one), just as anyone can play piano or learn any other skill. Some people have more of a natural knack for the sort of thing, but if you can learn, you can do just about anything you'd like.

bastik

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Hacker and cracker get mixed together.

While a hacker once was one that could break into system and maybe did, but not for profit, just to prove something and a cracker referred to someone that abused it's knowledge and power to get himself an advantage or just to destroy things. A hacker was someone with ethics.

For instance one breaking into this forum and posting a message about the finding from mouser to admin and via versa. That would be a hacker to me.
One that breaks into this forum sells the datasets he can obtain and wipes the database. That would be a cracker.

The modern hacker might be Penetration Tester as he serves a "good" purpose.

Every script-kiddy gets called hacker, calls himself a hacker, maybe even wants to be a hacker.

- Who can be a hacker?
Anyone that is willing to learn how certain things work and how to use and abuse those functions. Might be limited by some sort of knowledge and how easy one can learn new things. Languages (German, Spanish, but programming languages as well, I don't understand any) maybe math.

- What should one know to be a hacker?
That it takes time, patience and of course luck.
Most of the time it happens by trying.
Unless you are asked to do it it can be considered illegal. (Depends on what ones is doing)

- What are the programs used?
Probably depends on what the hacker want to achieve.

- What are the languages a hacker should know?
Depends on the target I think. "Pascal" for instance should not be needed unless it's something the target is written in.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Hacker used to mean somebody who understood computers and networks on a systems level and could program them to do anything they wanted.

Later on, it was mostly applied to people who could circumvent the security restrictions on a local computer and gain access to the "root" or "supervisor" level. This was almost always done for purposes of learning, or out of simple curiosity.

There's tons of stories about how the term "hacker" came to be. Most agree (although there are different versions of this story) that the term originated at MIT. Those in the early computer community that was beginning to form around people using early minicomputers and architectures they ran on, along with the LISP crowd (of Richard Stallman fame). This community operated on a form of meritocracy. If you were knowledgeable and smart enough to be able program the machines in this environment - in short, if you could "cut" or "hack" it - and keep up with the crowd, you were a "hacker." A hacker was somebody who could code - and knew what they were doing.

Later on the press dubbed people engaging in cyber-crime "hackers" because it had a nice aggressive ring to it - and because most of the people involved in it learned their skills by joining or reading tech docs written by traditional hackers.

Some hackers tried to differentiate themselves from the criminal and malicious element by trying to force the term "cracker" on the news media. But to no avail. Today hacker and cyber-criminal are synonymous terms.

So there's never been a better time to urge the status of the term "hacker" be changed to deprecated, and come up with better terms.

So to respond to your four points:

* Who can be a Hacker:

Anybody who doesn't mind being thought of as a cyber-criminal or vandal.

Everybody else should choose better and more descriptive titles, depending on what they want to do. Better choices are: programmer, coder, software developer, system administrator, kernal developer, etc.

* What should one know to be a Hacker:

To truly master the art of systems and programming you need to have a deep and profound understanding of computer fundamentals. How these things work on their most basic level. Once you have that, what else you'll need to know depends on what you're interested in doing.

Problem is, it's pretty hard to grasp those fundamentals without first doing something with these machines. So you most likely won't sit down and say: "OK, first I'm going to study Turing, and then study machine architecture, then I'll learn all about operating systems, and then study language design, and then..." What you'll do instead is start learning a language (any language will do although some are better to start with than others) and writing programs. From there, you'll begin to learn and absorb as much as you're interested in about the underlying systems and protocols your language uses. And from there, you're only limited by time, patience, and the limits of your intelligence and learning style.

It's hard to predict exactly when you'll realize you know what you're doing. But you'll know it when it happens. Everything suddenly clicks and and starts to makes sense. New things get learned much more easily. And everything starts to integrate with everything else. It's a good feeling.

* What are the programs used by a Hacker:

All depends on what they want to accomplish. One mark of an accomplished computer user is their ability to identify and select the correct tools for the job at hand.

* What are the languages a Hacker should know:

Any and all. The biggies are C, C++, C#, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Microsoft's Visual Basic and related programming framework, plus all the web-related scripting languages.

But there are also more specialized languages such as Erlang, Smalltalk, and Scheme that are also popular in certain programming circles.

So again...it all depends on what you want to do.

Luck!  8)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Hello and thank you all for your reply , i was very confused with this term too ie., cracker : so basically they are the same thing and having same skills but just putying in right and wrong use, and as for language its like a conglomeration of all these basic and popular languages one needs to know if one want to be.
I do not want to be one, since i do not have all those knowledge , and its not like another career option , but if i had those knowledge i wouldn't mind fiddling with others pc.

Thanks for your reply:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:36 AM »
The term hacker is also used in the most positive general sense to describe someone who likes to understand how things work, and tinker with them -- someone who is not satisfied to just use devices as they are, but likes to understand how to make them do unusual things.  

A wonderful book about the history of "hackers", in the most positive sense, is "Hackers" by Steven Levy:
http://www.amazon.co...volution-Steven-Levy

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I'd like to just throw a tiny bit of my own perspective on this with an analogy... And some confusion just for fun! ;D

A while back I needed a piece of software. I "cracked" it, then bought a license. I really just "cracked" it to see if I could do it. I had every "intention" of paying the author from the start.

So did I "hack" or did I "crack"?

The question is very much a real one, and the answer is entirely dependent on how you view "intention". The difference between "hacking" and "cracking" is very much one of "intent".

Then there is the "legality" issue... I don't subscribe to that, and don't believe that "legality" really has much meaning with respect to "intent" as it pertains to "hacking" or "cracking".

There are other opinions out there about things, and I'm likely in the minority as most people believe in "law" more than "ethics" and "morality".

Anyways... Just my own take on things and perhaps a different way of looking at things.

Peace! :)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker