topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Obtaining Windows OS ISO's  (Read 12051 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Obtaining Windows OS ISO's
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Anybody know where I could obtain 'LEGALLY'  ISO's of Windows 98 and XP?

These will be installed, ONLY on machines with a COA label attached to the tower.

If possible, I would like the base OS (No Service Packs) purely because I have had issues where a COA is licenced for SP1, and you try to install the full OS with SP2 bundled...I would much rather install service packs separately due to this.

Thanks in advance :D

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Obtaining Windows OS ISO's
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:56 PM »
MSDN.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:13 PM »
MSDN.

It doesn't look like Win98 is available even on MSDN Subscriber downloads anymore:

Products Unavailable due to Java-related Settlement

Some products have been removed from Subscriber Downloads due to the terms of Java-related settlements Microsoft made with Sun Microsystems. These products are no longer available from Microsoft in any form, but may be available through third-party resellers or Web sites.

These include (although not necessarily a comprehensive list): Internet Explorer 5.5, Map Point 2002, Office 2000, Outlook 2000, Project 2000, eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0, Visual Basic (Alpha Systems), Visual Studio 6 MSDE, Visual Studio 6.0, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, Back Office Server 2000, SQL Server 7, IIS 6.0, Office XP Developer, Visio 2000, Exchange Server 2000, Exchange Server 5.5, FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions, Handheld PC 2000 SDK, Infrared Communications for Windows 95 DDK, ISA Server 2000, MapPoint 2002, Office 2000, Office 97, Plus! 98, Project 2000, Site Server 3.0, Small Business Server 2000, SNA Server 4.0 Service Pack 3 & Service Pack 4, SQL Server 7.0, System Management Server 2.0, System Stress for Windows 2000, System Stress for Windows NT 4.0, Visio 2000, Visual Basic 5.0, Visual C++ (Alpha Systems), Visual FoxPro 6.0, Visual SourceSafe 6.0c & 6.0d, Visual Studio 6.0, Windows 2000 DDK, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 98, Windows 98 DDK, Windows CE SDKs & DDKs, Windows CE Toolkit for Visual C++ 6.0, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows NT 4.0 DDK, Windows XP (32bit) SR2 Checked/Debug Build.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Did you try contacting Microsoft directly?

AFAIK Win95/98 is no longer available anywhere.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21 PM »
I don't really want the hassle of calling microsoft and trying to repeat 50 serial keys to an Indian call center, who's staff barely understand what your saying...

If needs must, and M$ don't just 'Provide' the 30 day trial stuff for this, ill just use other methods :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Searched MSDN, but as mwb1100 and 40hz said Win95/98/ME isn't available there anymore. Hadn't thought about that Java settlement, but I can't really think of a reason to install it other than in a VM anyway.
Don't read
I should have some CD's laying around somewhere, though, hope they're still readable.

You'd better put some kind of Linux on 'm, where they don't come with a serial for the OS.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Yeah that's the plan...Linux on those without COA's and Winblows windows on those with them.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Yeah that's the plan...Linux on those without COA's and Winblows windows on those with them.
-Stephen66515 (March 05, 2012, 04:36 PM)

Silly question, but how many machines? And what are they being used for?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:44 PM »
-Stephen66515 (March 05, 2012, 04:36 PM)

Silly question, but how many machines? And what are they being used for?

Theres around 200-300 machines...I expect only around 50 of those to have a COA.

They have been donated by some company to a charity I help with, and I have been tasked with formatting, re-installing, and checking every single machine lol - The machines will then be either donated to those who cannot afford a computer, or sold for a very low price to those willing to donate a small sum (and also could otherwise not afford) for it :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Theres around 200-300 machines
-Stephen66515 (March 05, 2012, 04:44 PM)
Hm, so we won't be seeing you here for a while :o

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Theres around 200-300 machines
Hm, so we won't be seeing you here for a while :o

Oh trust me...I'll be here :D

I don't expect this to be a fun week though haha

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 05:02 PM »
They have been donated by some company to a charity I help with

IF you're working with a registered non-profit or charity (i.e. 501(c)(3) status non-profit or library ), and involved with their technology, you'll want to be aware of these guys.

Microsoft works with this group too. Good source for super-inexpensive software, etc. :Thmbsup:

8)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:08 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:30 PM »
If the machines are OEM, you may get lucky with:

C:\Windows\options\cabs

Windows setup files were frequently kept there in the 9x days.

Just a thought.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:41 PM »
They have been donated by some company to a charity I help with

IF you're working with a registered non-profit or charity (i.e. 501(c)(3) status non-profit or library ), and involved with their technology, you'll want to be aware of these guys.

Microsoft works with this group too. Good source for super-inexpensive software, etc. :Thmbsup:

8)

Wow...Bookmarked!

If the machines are OEM, you may get lucky with:

C:\Windows\options\cabs

Windows setup files were frequently kept there in the 9x days.

Just a thought.

None of the machines actually have an OS on them :(

On another note...if anybody has some old tech (Doesn't really matter what it is, or how old it is, just so long as it works) and wants it to go to a good cause (and also willing to package and send), let me know.

I will inform you via PM of which charity this is, their Charity number, and any other information you need :)

Btw, this is in the UK (Just so any kind donors from Abroad are aware) ^_^

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 01:40 AM »
I would question who set the requirement to use Win9x. You've got all sorts of licensing problems there since it is deprecated by Microsoft. Even if you *wanted* to BUY licenses, I'm not sure you could. Someone at Microsoft might donate licenses to a charity, though then *they* have problems since they are donating licenses for a deprecated product that they no longer maintain, so would have you sign some disclaimer that you know security issues may exist (and they do!).

As I'm sure you know, ReactOS (Windows rewrite by a third-party group) has finally grown quite mature and is a suitable FREE replacement for Windows that is fully compatible with the Windows XP kernel. That means all drivers and such will work. Well, you know - http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html . Users likely wouldn't tell the difference between it and native Windows to be honest.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 07:58 AM »
I would question who set the requirement to use Win9x. You've got all sorts of licensing problems there since it is deprecated by Microsoft. Even if you *wanted* to BUY licenses, I'm not sure you could. Someone at Microsoft might donate licenses to a charity, though then *they* have problems since they are donating licenses for a deprecated product that they no longer maintain, so would have you sign some disclaimer that you know security issues may exist (and they do!).

I set the requirement to install 9x on some machines purely because of the specs of some, being very low.  The machines we had where simply donated to us, so we had no control over any of the hardware.

These machines have now all (the ones that worked anyway) found good homes :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33 PM »
As I'm sure you know, ReactOS (Windows rewrite by a third-party group) has finally grown quite mature and is a suitable FREE replacement for Windows that is fully compatible with the Windows XP kernel. That means all drivers and such will work. Well, you know - http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html . Users likely wouldn't tell the difference between it and native Windows to be honest.

Tried ReactOS in VMWare - good starting point but it is pretty hit and miss what works - it can't install some things it has in its own repository!

I'd guess if/when it gets to a useful stage of development it will be good enough for Microsoft to lock them up in courts for decades!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:34 AM »
I'd guess if/when it gets to a useful stage of development it will be good enough for Microsoft to lock them up in courts for decades!

Or, if they are turning into a bad apple (Excuse the pun), steal all good ideas, patent them, then sue the original company  :P

Krishean

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Draconis Labs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 01:52 PM »
I would recommend against ReactOS, it is still alpha stage, and even some of the OS features don't work properly (such as configuring the taskbar/start menu/file explorer.) It's a nice idea/experiment, but still has a way to go before it is ready for regular users to use without getting frustrated with it.

On the slower machines, is Windows a requirement or could you use linux instead? Something that does not have all too much for system requirements such as Xubuntu, Mint LXDE, or Lubuntu, or even something lighter like Tiny Core? Using Win9x seems like a bad idea because it opens the users to so many security risks, and no way to update or patch them.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 02:01 PM »
I would recommend against ReactOS, it is still alpha stage, and even some of the OS features don't work properly (such as configuring the taskbar/start menu/file explorer.) It's a nice idea/experiment, but still has a way to go before it is ready for regular users to use without getting frustrated with it.

On the slower machines, is Windows a requirement or could you use linux instead? Something that does not have all too much for system requirements such as Xubuntu, Mint LXDE, or Lubuntu, or even something lighter like Tiny Core? Using Win9x seems like a bad idea because it opens the users to so many security risks, and no way to update or patch them.

Windows wasn't a 'requirement per-se but when you know the end user is 99% likely not to know much about computing, its pretty much the only logical approach.  Any decent linux distro that would be useful for that, would not run on the systems they would be installed on (Few machines where 256 RAM, 1Ghz CPU lol)