ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can anyone be a Hacker!

(1/2) > >>

hulkbuster:
Hello folks,
             i just want to know about Hacking and what is it used for and can anyone be a hacker.

These are the following things i need to know i.e.,:

* Who can be a Hacker:
* What should one know to be a Hacker:
* What are the programs used by a Hacker:
* What are the languages a Hacker should know:
 The reason why i am asking is because i have always heard this term and do not know properly what it means and what it signifies.
And although their are tons of material out their in the internet, i would like to know first hand from the members of the Donation Coder.

Thank you:

Gwen7:
hacker is a meaningless term today.

Innuendo:
What Gwen said. Once upon a time the term hacker meant something. A hacker was someone with elite skills that could do wondrous things with computers (and nearly nothing was done out of malice, but rather the pursuit of knowledge).

However, these days a hacker just means someone who tries to take advantage of exploits in software through the use of scripts & automated programs that target certain vulnerabilities of other programs & platforms.

So...what kind of hacker do you want to be? If it's the former, study hard & get your IT certifications. You'll learn a lot and you'll be in demand in the job market.

If it's the latter type you wish to become, just hang out on IRC. It won't be hard to find the script kiddies.

Deozaan:
These days if you use your friend's Facebook account from their phone or PC because they didn't log out, your friend will likely say that you hacked their Facebook account.

The term "hacker" is generally used these days for just about any undesired access to accounts, systems, or information.

But I'd say yes, anyone can be a hacker (even a "real" one), just as anyone can play piano or learn any other skill. Some people have more of a natural knack for the sort of thing, but if you can learn, you can do just about anything you'd like.

bastik:
Hacker and cracker get mixed together.

While a hacker once was one that could break into system and maybe did, but not for profit, just to prove something and a cracker referred to someone that abused it's knowledge and power to get himself an advantage or just to destroy things. A hacker was someone with ethics.

For instance one breaking into this forum and posting a message about the finding from mouser to admin and via versa. That would be a hacker to me.
One that breaks into this forum sells the datasets he can obtain and wipes the database. That would be a cracker.

The modern hacker might be Penetration Tester as he serves a "good" purpose.

Every script-kiddy gets called hacker, calls himself a hacker, maybe even wants to be a hacker.

- Who can be a hacker?
Anyone that is willing to learn how certain things work and how to use and abuse those functions. Might be limited by some sort of knowledge and how easy one can learn new things. Languages (German, Spanish, but programming languages as well, I don't understand any) maybe math.

- What should one know to be a hacker?
That it takes time, patience and of course luck.
Most of the time it happens by trying.
Unless you are asked to do it it can be considered illegal. (Depends on what ones is doing)

- What are the programs used?
Probably depends on what the hacker want to achieve.

- What are the languages a hacker should know?
Depends on the target I think. "Pascal" for instance should not be needed unless it's something the target is written in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version