ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: auto move dialog boxes nearer to mouse cursor

(1/3) > >>

nudone:
this is something i tried to tempt mouser with a while back but it wasn't really the right place or time...

concept: small confirmation dialog boxes appear several times during the course of a days computing. these are the sort of boxes that just require a simple click to confirm or deny an action.

i'd like to have these little pop-up windows open nearer to my mouse cursor location so that, in effect, they come to me and not me to them.

as an example: you drag a file to delete to the recycle bin which is at the side of you screen and then you get a 'do you want to delete this?' type of box appear in the center of your screen so you have you move the cursor to the center just to click 'yes'.

okay, i must sound petty. but when it's happens over and over again during the day it starts to become tiresome. i'm not just talking about putting files into the recycle bin - i'm annoyed with how all dialog windows appear in the center of your monitor, thereby interrupting your workflow and having to move the cursor back and forth, back and forth, just for a simple click.

wouldn't it make more sense that any dialog box opened up under where your mouse cursor was situated (or near to it without the window opening off screen) so as to reduce the amount of shuffling around like we are all expected to do with windows.

i know there are options to have the mouse cursor jump to the active button but this is equally annoying - you have to waste a few milliseconds trying to figure out where your cursor has suddenly jumped to and you still have to move the cursor back to the original position when you've clicked the box away.

i think this might be possible to sort out with 'AutoIt' but i'm not fluent enough with it to try.

i also hope that someone agrees with this idea at least in principle otherwise i'm going to feel like a right moaning git.

TenPlus1:
There's already a feature in Windows that places your mouse pointer right on top of the default button on any new requesters that open...

Dragonrider:
Yes this can be done with AutoIt.  But it would have to be a tray icon/constantly checking type of program.  It might be something that the "WinFocus" program I'm writing would be able to do while it's checking for changes in the active window.

Maybe for version 2 of WinFocus I'll add this in.

Regards
Dragonrider

nudone:
that's great. a tray based program sounds more than reasonable to me and if it works as part of an upgrade with WinFocus then that sounds good also.

i hope you find the time to implement it Dragonrider.

Scott:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version