ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox

<< < (9/12) > >>

superboyac:
40, from what I can tell, the Rhapsody models are different.  It doesn't sound like you can convert one to the other.  And I'm sure you've seen by now that Rockbox is not supported either.  Look at this thread (mind you, this is 4 years old):
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14833.25
Now be aware, the Rhapsody and Non Rhapsody firmware is not interchangable, nor are the installation instructions for Rockbox the same.  But if you have 1.x.x.x firmware on your Sansa E200 or E200R you can install Rockbox on it. 

If your firmware version is a 3.x.x.x version number, you are hosed.  It is a V2 version of the player and while there is ongoing effort to port Rockbox to the V2's it's going to take a lot longer to do so (if at all) than the V1's because the V1's were based on the Portaplayer chipset, which already had a Rockbox port for it on another player.  The Chipset for the V2's are known, but there are no other Rockbox players out there utilizing that chipset, so the Rockbox port may or may not take place.  (just like the 2nd gen Ipod Nano's and above aren't supported, and are unlikely to be in the near future)
--- End quote ---

40hz:
@SB - thanks for the feedback. That's pretty much what I was able to find out too.

Oh well. Not really a problem since it sounds great (really great actually :-*) and works just fine the way it is. I was, however, hoping I wouldn't have to install that lousy software Sansa gives you to access it's library functions.

Switching the USB mode lets the directories show up under Windows 7 and Linux so hopefully I can do a drag and drop and the titles database will automatically scan and update. If not, I guess I'll have to use Sansa's utility. If I do I'll probably just load this puppy up with decent tunes and then uninstall the Sansa software.

Besides, beneficiaries of a freebie shouldn't complain, right? ;D :Thmbsup:

----------------

Update: Yup. Switching USB mode to MTP let's you get into it via Windows Explorer. If you drag and drop, the database rescans when you disconnect the USB cable and all works as it should. You just need to remember the folder hierarchy, which is your standard <artist><album><song> arrangement.

Woo-hoo! Nice little MP3 player! And the price was right too. ;D

superboyac:
That's not a bad freebie at all!  These sandisk players really do sound great.

I'm still searching for the perfect player.  I've tried a whole bunch, and they each have their good features.  Sony has great sound, great preamps, and probably the best tactile buttons in the biz...but a lot of proprietary annoyances.  ipod touches are super easy to use, is built great, but if you have a geek bone at all, you will soon start hearing your expletives fly (uber-proprietary cables, no control on tagging).  Sandisks (rockboxable versions) are by far the best bang for the buck.  No real complaints there except for the cheap construction and poor preamps.  The next one I'm going to try is the Cowon J3, which a lot of people consider one of the better players ever made.

40hz:
The next one I'm going to try is the Cowon J3, which a lot of people consider one of the better players ever made.
-superboyac (March 14, 2012, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you do, let me know how you make out? It supports FLAC natively which would be a big plus for me. Nice size too. 56x106x10mm? Pretty svelte for the specs it's claiming.

A little pricey at $260 for 32Gb (which puts it out of my range for something to try just out of curiosity) - but I guess you get what you pay for with this type of product. And this little bugger is reporting some awfully impressive features and specs. (An 11 hour video runtime on full battery? To me. that's impressive.)
 :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
The next one I'm going to try is the Cowon J3, which a lot of people consider one of the better players ever made.
-superboyac (March 14, 2012, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you do, let me know how you make out? It supports FLAC natively which would be a big plus for me. Nice size too. 56x106x10mm? Pretty svelte for the specs it's claiming.

A little pricey at $260 for 32Gb (which puts it out of my range for something to try just out of curiosity) - but I guess you get what you pay for with this type of product. And this little bugger is reporting some awfully impressive features and specs. (An 11 hour video runtime on full battery? To me. that's impressive.)
 :Thmbsup:
-40hz (March 14, 2012, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've been holding out for 2 years for the same reason, price.  But everything else has got me aching for it.  it sure does seem like you get what you pay for when it comes to build quality and high quality audio components.  sansa doesn't have either, but what they do have is an ecosystem that far more friendly to geeks than any other.  Their audio quality is good enough for the price and you "get to do" a lot of things with it.  However, when my sony and sansa are sitting together, I'll grab the sony.

Anyway, I'm going to get it and report back.  i got the ipod touch for my mom, and she appeared to love it.  Now my dad is asking for something to play his patriotic Armenian music on while he works in the garden, so I think I'll get the J3 for him.  As for me...i have my eye on a raspberry pi and what people are going to do with those.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version