ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox

<< < (7/12) > >>

xtabber:
However... all my problems with slow database updates are currently academic. Using my shiny new gadget in the car yesterday (connected to an FM transmitter that the car stereo is tuned to) I forgot to disconnect the wires when I got out of the car in the supermarket carpark. The audio cable got shut in the car door, the Clip unclipped and hit the ground and although I picked it up (with a few carefully chosen Words that would have even shocked any passing service personnel) I didn't discover until this morning that the 32Gb SD card is no longer in the device.
-oblivion (March 06, 2012, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
You might try looking inside the car on the off chance that the card actually popped out before the door shut on the wires. Admittedly not likely, but it won't cost you anything but some of your time.

Edvard:
So how do I access this ##MUSIC# folder when Windows doesn't seem to recognize that it exists?
-Deozaan (March 07, 2012, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know how to do it in Windows, but I see the ##MUSIC# folder plain as day from Linux. :troll:

Try opening a command window and using the good ol' DIR command.
DIR /AH to see hidden files
DIR /X to see the 8.3 names (sometimes quite handy)

EDIT:
Just booted into Windows 7 on my son's laptop, and the folder in question is there, not hidden.
Inside is the standard list of folders (audiobook, music, playlists, etc.). :shrug:
DIR /AH came up with "DID.bin" (the firmware, I presume) and a folder named FOUND.000.
In there are a bunch of files named "FILE[4 sequential numbers].CHK" that are taking up a surprising bit of room (303 Megs)
Dunno what they're for, and not about to just erase stuff willy-nilly to see what happens.

Beats me...

Deozaan:
Just booted into Windows 7 on my son's laptop, and the folder in question is there, not hidden.-Edvard (March 10, 2012, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip. Now that I know how to change USB Mount method, I'll hook it up to my Win7 machine and give it a try.

DIR /AH came up with "DID.bin" (the firmware, I presume) and a folder named FOUND.000.
In there are a bunch of files named "FILE[4 sequential numbers].CHK" that are taking up a surprising bit of room (303 Megs)
Dunno what they're for, and not about to just erase stuff willy-nilly to see what happens.-Edvard (March 10, 2012, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK the FOUND.000 folder and its files are created when scandisk/chkdsk found some sort of problem and decided to move/rename a bunch of files rather than delete them. One time I thought I lost my entire music collection after a checkdisk, but found all the files in one of those FOUND.000 folders.

oblivion:
Dunno what they're for, and not about to just erase stuff willy-nilly to see what happens.
-Edvard (March 10, 2012, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
They are indeed the results of a chkdsk /f when there's a load of unattributed clusters to be dealt with.

A FAT-type format stores the details of the files on the disk in a File Allocation Table. If a disk is removed before the FAT is properly updated, you can get a situation where chunks of disk are allocated to files but the details of what they are and where they belong have not been stored.

The .chk files are likely to be all your music files. You might try renaming them all to .mp3 (ren *.chk *.mp3 from a command prompt in the \found.000 folder) and then pointing something with the ability to read the id tags and rename files accordingly at them. Mediamonkey can, but so can lots of other things.

Or just delete them and recopy from source. :)

oblivion:
Okay, my bank account is groaning a bit but I've now replaced the lost SD card.

Before I started anything, I made sure I used the Sandisk recommendation and formatted it with 32k allocation units.

I'm probably a bit more au fait with things than I was when I first started this thread, but I'm still having a lot of trouble with playlists.

The Rockbox manual doesn't go into much detail, sadly, but I want to create a Rockbox equivalent of the "Random Play All" option on my Creative Zen. That seems to mean I should create a playlist containing everything on the player (or rather, everything in the music database) and then assign a shortcut to it. Ideally, I should be able to invoke the shuffle function before playback starts but (equally ideally) I don't want the player to get left in shuffle mode when I decide I want to play another playlist, or an album or something.

And of course I've fallen at the first hurdle. I can't work out how to create the "everything" list in the first place. Has anyone here with more experience with Rockbox than me got any idea what I should be doing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version