ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox

<< < (6/12) > >>

Deozaan:
It is supplied with USB mode set to Mass Storage (MSC) (because Apple doesn't work with MTP mode).

Change the USB mode in the device itself to MTP and it works fine.

Press home and find Settings, go to System Settings and then USBMode - select MTP, plug it in to your PC and it should work.
-Carol Haynes (March 05, 2012, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it was on Auto Detect by default. I changed it to MTP and it doesn't seem to do anything except charge. But when I change it to MSC it finally showed up in Windows Explorer -- but I couldn't find any music files anywhere on it. All of the built-in directories are empty.

I took a look at it in WinDirStat to see where all the files are, in case they were hidden in an obscure Rockbox folder, but for some reason it is only showing about 450MBs of the 4GBs on the drive. Most of that is the free space. The rest is the Rockbox directory and anything else in the root directory. But wherever my music is hiding is. . . hidden. But not in the "Hidden Folders" sense of the word. I have my OS set to display hidden files and folders.

Does anyone else have any other tips on how to mount this thing as a normal USB storage device?

I did notice when I'm browsing the files on the Rockbox firmware that the music isn't in those directories either. It's in a folder called ##MUSIC# which then has the default categories (Albums, Audiobooks, Music, Playlists, etc.) in it. So how do I access this ##MUSIC# folder when Windows doesn't seem to recognize that it exists?

oblivion:
There are ways to convert audible files but they are not straightforward and tedious (software) or very laborious - burn the books to CD and then rip them back to MP3 - trouble is each book can be between 6 and 10 CDs.
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2012, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not something I've tried -- I've never attempted Audible -- but can't Audacity save any audio your PC can play? So set it off to record your audiobook and come back... er... a few days later? Okay, I take your point :)

Innuendo:
There are ways to convert audible files but they are not straightforward and tedious (software) or very laborious - burn the books to CD and then rip them back to MP3 - trouble is each book can be between 6 and 10 CDs.
--- End quote ---

A quick Google reveals that there are a couple different methods that allow you to skip the burning step and go straight from Audible format to either wav or mp3. It seems most (but not all) methods involve using a codec called audibleMediaFilter.exe which allows you to load the audio book into other players and editors. I don't own any Audible products, however, so I cannot test.

oblivion:
--- End quote ---
Today's GiveAwayOfTheDay is a program that can record any audio your PC is playing -- might be easier to use than Audacity. It'd still be a slow solution, of course, but you could let your computer do it overnight with the speakers switched off, I guess...

One advantage Rockbox has for audiobooks and similar is its ability to speed things up at play-time, which could potentially mean you could get five hours audio listened to in four, as long as the reader wasn't already initially delivering at a nineteen-to-the-dozen rate, anyway :)

Carol Haynes:
I tried audibleMediaFilter.exe with Goldwave a good while ago and whilst it does work and is reasonably quick it is pretty flaky too.

The thought of recording whole books isn't an option - I have got hundreds and I would spend the rest of my life with the computer recording stuff.

By far the simplest solution is just to use audible compatible devices with suitable firmware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version