ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sansa Clip+ and Rockbox

<< < (5/12) > >>

oblivion:
If you install RockBox on a Clip+ does that mean you can use either firmare? RockBox by default but still access the original firmware (and therefore file formats RockBox doesn't support such as Audible)?
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2012, 04:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.

If you power up while holding the Left button down, it starts the original Sansa firmware.

You can also put another firmware file onto the system with a .sansa extension and "play" it -- presumably so you can test different versions of the Sansa firmware without actually installing them. (See p151 of the current Rockbox Sansa Clip Plus manual.)

Innuendo:
That's the great thing about Rockbox. If things go pear-shaped, you can always retreat back to the factory firmware to regroup & figure out what went wrong.

Been a long time since I ran a PMP with Rockbox, but what always amazed my friends was my ability to play GameBoy games on my mp3 player. ;)

Carol Haynes:
If you install RockBox on a Clip+ does that mean you can use either firmare? RockBox by default but still access the original firmware (and therefore file formats RockBox doesn't support such as Audible)?
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2012, 04:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.

If you power up while holding the Left button down, it starts the original Sansa firmware.

You can also put another firmware file onto the system with a .sansa extension and "play" it -- presumably so you can test different versions of the Sansa firmware without actually installing them. (See p151 of the current Rockbox Sansa Clip Plus manual.)

-oblivion (March 07, 2012, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm - was going to give it a go but this gave me pause for thought:

DRM capability. It is possible that installation of the bootloader may lead to you permanently
losing the ability to playback files with DRM. (page 13)
--- End quote ---

I don't have much DRM music but I do want to use Audible audiobooks.

Edvard:
While I would advocate DRM-free alternatives when possible, neither am I an advocate of circumvention if the original files are reasonably usable with the DRM.

That said, can they be easily converted to another format?
I realize that Audible would probably frown on the practice, but honest folk who simply want to enjoy their product shouldn't be on their worry list...

Carol Haynes:
There are ways to convert audible files but they are not straightforward and tedious (software) or very laborious - burn the books to CD and then rip them back to MP3 - trouble is each book can be between 6 and 10 CDs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version