ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to remove Windows.old?

(1/9) > >>

Curt:
Restoring my documents from the cloud based backup, I noticed that my new Win 7 was running out of free space many days too soon, so to speak. I knew that the "overwritten" Vista still is around on my PC, because at boot-up I am offered to log in to it, (but it will only give me a black screen and send me on to Win 7), and I knew it is placed in a folder named Windows.old, but only now have I realized it is taking up a whopping 341GB. Not good!!

How can I safely get rid of Vista and Windows.old ?  :tellme:

Josh:
I would reinstall just to be safe. But that is just me. You never know what is tied in there.

Curt:
-you may very well be right. Because at boot-up I am greeted by Fujitsu, which was the company behind the Vista, but the new Win 7 comes from a Dell disc. So I guess the old Vista still is some kind of command - giving weird situations if I remove Windows.old which must be including Fujitsu stuff.
 :tellme:

Stoic Joker:
According to MS Windows.old is safe to delete ... Assuming you recovered all of the files (and/or registry settings) from it that you may want to save.

Easiest option is to just rename it to basically anything, and then reboot to see if you get any complaints. No complaints = safe to delete.

Curt:
-will try at once. If you don't hear from me, you'll know why...
 :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version