ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Free!

(1/7) > >>

lanux128:
found it via Gizmo's, this is a great piece of news for flight sim fans!

... It has a new name (just Microsoft Flight), and it's free. In its new incarnation, you play it as an online game, and the adventure takes place in and around Hawaii.  Other planes and environments are, or will be, available but these will be optional paid-for extras.

Before you can play, you'll need to download the Windows client for Microsoft Flight.  From my testing, this seems to work best from Internet Explorer.  Also, note that you'll need a decent games-spec graphics card in your PC, so check the requirements on the web site carefully.  It also requires Windows 7.
--- End quote ---

Source: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/microsoft-flight-simulator-its-back-and-its-free.htm

40hz:
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if if they were going to do something like that with FlightSim. As a long time owner (starting with the first) right up until "X" the last incarnation, I'm not exactly happy. I would have preferred them to bring it back as a packaged product. But this is better than nothing I suppose.

And so much for the hopeful rumors that were circulating that Microsoft was going to either open source it - or just release it for free. (I never believed those rumors for a minute. Microsoft doesn't do things like that.) ;D

Also check out FlightGear - the free open source multiplatform flight sim! Here's a preview from version 2.4:

Note: version 2.6.0 has just been released.

And if you're bored flying around Earth, check out Orbiter 2010 Space Flight Simulator. Does for space what FlightGear does for "atmo."  (Windows only - sorry Linux & Mac people!)

8) :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

ewemoa:
Both look quite impressive!

Thanks for sharing :)

40hz:
Both look quite impressive!

Thanks for sharing :)
-ewemoa (March 04, 2012, 02:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're welcome.

Now if somebody would care to personally recommend a good modern strategic submarine/sub-warfare simulator (i.e. SSN/SSBN class - not WWII era), or a full naval warfare simulator with decent submarine coverage, I'd be more grateful than words could tell. :)

Shades:
Well, there is a rather nice (and free) one for space vessels called: 'Battleships Forever'. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version