ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Free!

<< < (2/7) > >>

40hz:
Well, there is a rather nice (and free) one for space vessels called: 'Battleships Forever'. 
-Shades (March 08, 2012, 05:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm on it! Thx!!!

Carol Haynes:
Anyone actually tried FlightGear?

I eventually found a config file for my joystick (there was a specific file supplied as part of the install but it didn't work properly - unless you like to spin on the spot) but then I found if you did any sort of aerobatics the artificial horizon was way out afterwards.

I tried Oribiter too - I am sure is very clever but it looked like too steep a learning curve for me!

tranglos:
I eventually found a config file for my joystick (there was a specific file supplied as part of the install but it didn't work properly - unless you like to spin on the spot) but then I found if you did any sort of aerobatics the artificial horizon was way out afterwards.
-Carol Haynes (March 08, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Haven't tried it, but from what I've read around MS flight sims, this is how the actual thing behaves IRL. The gyro goes out of whack when you pull too many Gs, and it may take up to 30 mins or so for it to stabilize. What I am not sure about is whether flight sims "for the rest of us" should simulate such detail, as it makes the whole thing quite frustrating.

(It's like the oil temp indicator in the cockpit: what am I supposed to do if it goes too high? Call MS support? The sim doesn't include airport mechanics, after all. Why simulate something that I have no control over and is entirely irrelevant to the gameplay? In a real pilot training sim, sure, but in a general audience product that's going overboard IMO.)

I tried Oribiter too - I am sure is very clever but it looked like too steep a learning curve for me!
--- End quote ---

Aargh. Orbiter won't play sound for me, and there's no solution to be found. Too bad, since it looks very neat. I'm sure it works on the devs' machines though :-) Reminds me of when I tried Red Hat Linux more than a decade ago. With a sound card, you were on your own. (Sad to say, but sometimes I do prefer corporate products, because they can be expected to actually work across all hardware. I don't have anything unusual, either. Orbiter apparently doesn't talk to my chip.)

Carol Haynes:
For Orbiter sound you have to download and install the sound bits separately. Not sure why they did it that way.

Sounds works for me but I don't find the sound terribly inspiring - mainly just roaring noises of the engines.

Carol Haynes:
PS: I have MS FlighstSim X and am just downloading Free MS Flight.

I have now discovered why they haven't gone for a new packaged version!

The base game is free but lots of stuff that was in X now has to be bought as an addon - and they are not cheap at all.

For example the Hawaiian Adventure Pack (which seems to be included in X) costs $19.99 alone. I haven't paid for it (and won't be) so maybe they added something extra - but still it is part of the cash cow that MS is trying to become. What's the betting MS Flight will be a free Metro app in Windows 8 and all the addons will be in their own App Store - they way they can drag in revenue from 3rd party FS developers who would have to sell through the App store or get out of the MS FS market!

A couple of those 'addon' packs would probably cost more than the complete MS FS X (which by the way still runs fine on Windows 7, including 64 bit).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version