ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Earning the 'daemon' inside DaemonTools...

<< < (2/2)

Nudel:
I went off Daemon Tools when I noticed it installed a new root certificate authority on your machine, which essentially makes it possible for whoever controls (or gains access to) that root CA to sign any code so it appears to be from any publisher.

I don't know if it still does this as I haven't gone near it since then. I switched to Virtual CloneDrive which is free and works great, at least for my needs. (There are a few things DT does which VCD doesn't, but I don't need them.)

Daemon Tools is not the only tool to install a root CA but the one it installed seemed to be from a company who only created it to avoid paying money for code-signing, which isn't how things should be done. Code-signing certs are expensive, and the "proper" CAs can be leaked or tricked as well, but if every company creates their own root CA then the whole signing system is useless.

Innuendo:
I've always used Daemon Tools in the past, but this whole MountSpace thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth so I went out looking for alternatives. What I found seems to be a little-known gem that may bear investigating for some of you. It's WinCDEmu written by SysProgs.

What attracted me was its simple interface, no limitation on number of virtual drives, its ability to create ISOs, has a portable version, and it's open source.

And did I mention the installer's size is less than 1 MB? ;)

Innuendo:
Looks like the Daemon Tools people issued a formal statement regarding MountSpace & since it was missed over here I provide a link for the completeness of this thread:

http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f13/daemon-tools-mountspace-service-29177/

Short version: If you'll use Lashiec's screenshot as a reference, disabling "Send anonymous usage statistics" prevents Daemon Tools from sending information *TO* MountSpace. Disabling "Enable Media Info Panel" prevents Daemon Tools from obtaining information *FROM* MountSpace.

Disable both & your privacy is assured. Maybe I'll go back to Daemon Tools. Every other program that offers the functionality is not elegant at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version