ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android Tablets

<< < (5/5)

ewemoa:
I picked mine up for KRW 700,000, but I expect that we'll see that drop to much better levels in the next couple of years or so.
-Renegade (April 30, 2012, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever root your tablet?

Renegade:
I picked mine up for KRW 700,000, but I expect that we'll see that drop to much better levels in the next couple of years or so.
-Renegade (April 30, 2012, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you don't mind me asking, did you ever root your tablet?
-ewemoa (June 30, 2012, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. I only read on it and every now and then play around with deploying some software experiments. I'm more interested in using it than hacking it. I'm getting a couple Raspberry Pis to hack around with, and I already bugger around with my other computers. My tablet is really just a glorified reader for me. The thing I like is that I can put anything I want on it and not fart around with iTunes or some other POS that restricts what I can do.

ewemoa:
Thanks for the response.

One problem I have with these devices is that without root you aren't guaranteed the ability to backup / restore the data / settings generated by the apps on it.  I am thus wary of creating data in this context...

Renegade:
Thanks for the response.

One problem I have with these devices is that without root you aren't guaranteed the ability to backup / restore the data / settings generated by the apps on it.  I am thus wary of creating data in this context...
-ewemoa (July 01, 2012, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

It looks pretty easy to root:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=812367

http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-tv-2/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-xda-tv/

ewemoa:
It was easy -- however, for a non-U.S. model I used a different procedure (also found on xdadevelopers).

Luckily it was a matter of placing a zip file on the device (worked via download directly, no PC necessary) and then using some appropriate button holding while powering on followed by choosing some menu items appropriately :)  Thank goodness for this simple procedure...the HTC Legend OTOH, the procedure there is quite a nightmare.

FWIW, when I said "these devices" I meant Android devices as a whole, not trying to single out Samsung ones in particular.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version