ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android Tablets

(1/5) > >>

Josh:
I am wondering what are the latest features to look for in a tablet? My wife owns an original transformer and loves it. I am looking to get one for myself. I have not been paying too close attention to the tablet market so do not know what are the latest "specs" to look for. Are we still stuck on a 1Ghz Processor or have quicker processors been integrated into these devices? What about memory, connectivity, etc? I know the tegra3 is the latest graphics chipset.

Thoughts?

Innuendo:
Processors have gotten faster (up to 1.5 GHz if I remember correctly), but I think the smart move would be to wait till tablets are released running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android OS  v4.0). ICS will bring the ability for the OS to be hardware-accelerated so that should bring quite a performance boost.

bob99:
In addition to looking at the processor etc. one suggestion that is a recurring theme on some of the tablet related forums I've visited is to pick your apps 1st.  The tablet can be the fastest and prettiest one out there but if it doesn't do what you want it doesn't make a difference. 
Just an observation. 

xtabber:
Processor speed really doesn't matter as much as from factor, connectivity and screen quality, which are the true differentiators between Android tablets.  There are trade-offs between how light and thin a tablet can be and what kinds of standard ports (HDMI, SD, USB, etc.) it can support, so the first thing to consider is whether it's more important to you to have something thin and light or something heavier with better I/O capabilities, and perhaps more rugged too.

Most high-end Android tablets today have 1280x800 screens, but both ASUS and Lenovo have announced 1920x1200 10" tablets for the 2nd quarter of 2012. I'd guess that by the end of the year, that will be standard for high-end Android tablets, particularly if the next iPad has 2048x1536 resolution, as rumored.

Renegade:
I'm thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 while I'm here in Seoul. They seem quite nice. (A friend has an 8.9, and it's slick.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version