ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Antivirus Software a Waste of Money?

<< < (6/14) > >>

wraith808:
Not only does common sense not get updated, I've found it is also prone to being disabled very easily.  :tease:
-x16wda (July 27, 2014, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Common sense isn't so common  :stars:

40hz:
I just got my first call from someone who had gotten dual-bitten by a password logging bot plus (to my amazement) some ransomware.

She was running a (mostly) updated copy of Win7x64 along with MS Security Essentials.

A close check of all her financial and personal logins followed by the creation of some strong new passwords fixed that worry. Fortunately, nothing was tampered with as far as she and we could tell.

The damage done by ransomware encryption was annoying, but less an issue since she had clean and very recent backups of all her critical stuff.

One HD wipe, reformat, and OS/apps/data reinstall and she was back to normal except for some personal inconvenience plus some money spent getting help and buying more powerful commercial antimalware.

Draw from this what conclusions you will. 8)

wraith808:
The conclusion that I think I'm drawing is that I should have long ago switched to the paid version of spybot if I want AV...

Stoic Joker:
The damage done by ransomware encryption was annoying, but less an issue since she had clean and very recent backups of all her critical stuff.-40hz (July 27, 2014, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've only ran into that one once during an accountant was checking their personal webmail at work episode. All the stuff on the server was saved using the Previous Versions feature (I really like that one), and all the stuff on the workstation was... hehehe ...Well they won't do that again.

Rule 0: No critical data is ever to be stored on a workstation.

Tuxman:
Rule 0: No critical data is ever to be stored on a workstation.-Stoic Joker (July 27, 2014, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely. Store it in the Cloud!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version