Many people use standalone photo management applications (like Picasa or PicaJet), and frequently need to use them on a multi-computer environment.
So, how to share your photo manager database between multiple users across the local network? Does it possible?
The short answer: No, because:
- There is no guarantee that your media management system wonâ€™t crash and damage your content due to multiple users simultaneously attempting to change it.
- One of your team members could accidentally â€śscrew upâ€ť your assets.
- You canâ€™t see the changes made by other users in the same media database until you restart the media database software, or refresh the opened catalog.
- You canâ€™t limit access to your content for users by user roles.
I'd like to introduce our Daminion - a low-cost, server based photo management system for small teams (business and home) and creative professionals.
- Windows 2000, XP, 2003 or 2008 Server, Vista, 7, 8
- Pentium III - 1 GHz
- 1 GB RAM
Daminion Server can run on common Windows platforms like Windows XP Standard or Windows 7 Business. It is not necessary to buy an expensive Windows Server.
Some of the Benefits of Daminion
- A true multi-user photo management solution that protects your content from damage, unlike File-Servers based systems
- Affordable price for small teams
- None of the endless monthly fees demanded by hosted solutions. You pay once.
- No need to hire a system administrator, and no specialist knowledge necessary to install and administer the Daminion Server.
- Much more secure than web-solutions - all your content remains inside your firewall
- Restricted access to content by User Roles
- Ability to work with huge size media archives (up to 500K-1M files per catalog)
- Version Control (Check in/out). Avoid work being redone because youâ€™ve lost your original versions!
- Powered by free, reliable and widely adopted PostgreSQL database engine
- Focused on cataloguing (no built-in fancy image editors and publishing tools) with excellent bridge to external photo editors like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign.
- Quickly classify and filter your content by tags using AND, OR operations
- Supports complex hierarchical tags (keywords, locations, etc.) with no limitation on nesting levels
- Quick, advanced and saved searches with support for AND, OR operations
- Multiple catalogs (both local and shared) can be opened simultaneously like the pages of modern web-browsers.
- Automatically sync image annotations (tags) with metadata (IPTC/XMP/MWG)
- Each tag is mapped into a set of metadata. For example, Place Tag is mapped into eight metadata fields:
- During importation, the Place Tag will be filled out from information extracted from the IPTC/XMP.
- Daminion can even write metadata into Camera RAW formats, including CR2, NEF, DNG, ARW, MRW, PEF, without creating xmp sidecar filesâ€¦
- Unlike other content organizational tools, Daminion will correctly write/read hierarchical keywords from/to IPTC/XMP. So your hierarchical structure will not lose data when you export or move your files. Learn more about how Daminion supports metadata
- Import more than 100 formats including, Camera RAW format, Video H.264 and MKV, Adobe formats (PSD, PDF, DNG, InDesign, Illustrator), Audio Formats, Limited Support for Autodesk DWG and DXF
- Optimize and then email images via your favorite email client (with MAPI support) or via your Gmail (or Google Apps) account
- Daminion API is available to extend Daminionâ€™s export capabilities by developing your own export extension
Look forward to hearing your feedback! Daminion standalone version is FREE!
Visit Daminion Home Page...