ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use RSS feeds?

<< < (13/14) > >>

Armando:
I didn't notice anything about the main window moving upward. But dragging the "today panel" can be hard though : I have to move it very slowly, otherwise the mouse pointer just slides away...!

The windows are not standard... vitalyb' alt+tab replacement for farr can't detect it properly.

But these are small small problems. Overall, I think Newzie has the potential to be one of the best rss aggregator out there (combines, RSS feeds, web pages, Bulk and virtual channels, folders (!), word filters, etc.), with NewzCrawler and a few others. Not to mention that it's free!

it's just this keyboard thing...  :(
Smart folders would be nice too.

lanux128:
yes, i have to agree with you - the non-standard windows is a bit of a downer as it is not keyboard-centric.. i'm trying to fix that with AHK. let's see how things go from here..

--- ---DetectHiddenWindows On
SetTitleMatchMode 2

;Close Newzie main & options window
$Escape::
IfWinActive Newzie
WinClose
Else
;else just send the keystroke
Send,{ESCAPE}
Return

lanux128:
just saw this on the AHK forums.. it looks like only the Newzie devs can make any changes to keyboard short-cuts.

All the controls begining with "Afx" comes froms progs developped in VC++ with the MFC. They are not standard controls and can't be managed directly with AHK. So AFAIK 2 solutions : eiter copy/pase in the control to get/put data in it (but you said you can't) or use (if suitable) an eventualy COM interface with COM.ahk or WS4AHK (search for these words in the forum if applicable to your situation).
Hope it helps.-Zoulou
--- End quote ---
Source: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23410

Armando:
Thanks lanux. So I guess we'll have to wait...???
(BTW : at least your little script does the job for ESC-->close window... Thanks!  :up: But I guess that's pretty much it since Newzie's "controls" can't be directly managed with AHK...)

muntealb:
I have used Newzie for a year but now I use mainly GreatNews (one of the reasons is the fact that GN can be translated, whereas Newzie cannot be at this time). Newzie is good-looking and has some very useful features (for example the List View, that orders the feeds after the date of the last update), but it does have its share of usability problems. One is the impossibility to use an external browser. The developer responds to the e-mails usually quite rapidly, but does not always implement the requested features, although it will offer explanations for that (I wanted the tabs to be closed on double-click and I wanted also the tabs to have shorter titles, so I could open more of them).

There is room for improvement regarding the management of tabs, for example the tabs could be locked in order to not close them accidentally. Or they could be moved, etc. They could also be opened (optionally) in the background. I think I have made at least 10 suggestion like that, but they were not implemented, for various reasons. But all the bugs reported by me were fixed.

The problem seems to be that there is only one developer and it also works on Ziepod (the best podcast catcher in my opinion) and lately on a discussion platform (like a forum, but with audio posts) that was not greeted with enthusiasm.

I always recommend Newzie to the people that do not want to use GreatNews. But I also recommend Abilon ( http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/News-Newsgroups-Blog-Tools/Abilon.shtml ) , a software that is not developed anymore, but also supports folders. I had lenghty e-mail exchanges with the author of Abilon and some features were suggested by me. Unfortunately he decided to abandon the software because he lacked the time to develop it further. But the program is very stable and can be used without problems even now, even on Vista.

The sad fact is that Google Reader killed many of the RSS aggregators. I dont like GR at all, but many people use it, especially those that are not so habituated with RSS. I think GR became in just a year the most used RSS aggregator software. Some developers could not sell their programs anymore and consequently abandoned them (Abilon had also a paid version, named Active Refresh) or put them on hold for a long time (Newzcrawler).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version