ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use RSS feeds?

<< < (11/14) > >>

moerl:
Right now I'm using RSS only for podcasts for my iPod. (Before anyone freaks - The iPod isn't that bad... it's iTunes that could use some help.)

I'm also using custom XML feeds for GDT, my MP3 player software for musicians. XML is just so amazing to work with. *.gdt song configuration files are all just XML.

I've seen a few people post about RSS readers, but can anyone recommend anything that's top notch? I really don't like to fiddle too much with software and prefer that things just work easily. Most often I don't even need that much power from a lot of software. So anything decent that will work and let me configure things nicely would be perfect.

Yes -  I'm being lazy - Just no time to fiddle. I prefer recommendations to start with as opposed to trying out 50 different things...

-Renegade (May 05, 2006, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
I swear by FeedDemon. It isn't free, but I'll be damned if it isn't the best feed reader in existence. A good free one is GreatNews Newsreader, though I do not like it nearly as much as I like FeedDemon. If you'd like to stay free, however, GreatNews is a very good option. If you use Thunderbird for email, it can handle newsfeeds as well. I used it for quite a while that way and loved it, but of course it would not survive a comparison to any serious, real feedreader. Or, use Firefox, as bliss said above.

m_s:
I searched around quite a bit, and tried several readers.  GreatNews was definitely closest second runner, but I finally paid for FeedDemon a few weeks back - it's great!

Armando:
Bump...

I've tried quite a few RSS feed readers, and I found that one common annoyance is the inability to support folders (categories) hierarchies for better organization of your feeds. Weird. GreatNews, FeedDemon, FeedReader, you name it : they can't do that.

Of the one I tried, only NewzCrawler and RSSOwl support true "categories" hierarchies. There might be others...

I must say that I was impressed with NewzCrawler when I tried it a while ago. Pretty light, lots of features, smart folders, category hierarchies... For a while I wondered  if development had stopped or what… But there was recently an announcement about version 1.9 :  http://www.newzcrawler.com/news.shtml .

Anybody here used NewzCrawler for a while and could comment ?

muntealb:
Newzie ( http://newzie.com/ ) supports folders. Click on the button "Switch to TreeView" (the icon is suggestive) to manage the feeds and folders. Newzie is free.

I have tested Newzcrawler and it is very good. Read the Newzcrawler forums to see if there are problems that could annoy you.

Armando:
Thanks for the link  ! :)

Newzie looks interesting. I've installed it and started to play with it. It doesn't seem to play well with keyboard shortcuts... But, on the "plus" side, it seems to have a kind of WebsiteWatcher feature-- ie : it doesn't only monitor RSS feeds but also web pages ! I'll use it more before saying anything else...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version