ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use RSS feeds?

<< < (10/14) > >>

Dennis the Menace:
I use Feed Demon for my feeds and use it daily, don't know how I managed before I got it.

moerl:
I use Feed Demon for my feeds and use it daily, don't know how I managed before I got it.
-Dennis the Menace (May 04, 2006, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's the best. By far. I tried out so many different readers and in the end simply came back to FeedDemon.

bliss:
My favorite is Firefox. I have a drop-down menu with 13 Newspaper headline feeds. It's easy to scan a few hundred Headlines then open up a few at a time in different tabs. Very efficient!

My previous favorite was Serence Klip Folio which let me put a whole series of buttons across the bottom of the screen. Each button would pop-up a menu fo the RSS feed's headlines. Oddly enough KlipFolio claims to be built on Mozilla -so i guess there are versions for real operating systems too. I really liked it, but personally I found Firefox the simplest.

Using Firefox is a bit foxy in that adding new feed requires cut & paste, and to make a new 'Live Bookmark' from the 'Manage Bookmarks' window.

I really wish Firefox could deal with Favorites properly, it would make the whole process so much easier.

Carol Haynes:
You don't need to add RSS feeds to the Live Bookmarks bar using cut and paste. Just navigate to the page where the RSS link is to the feed and a symbol appears in the address bar. Click on it and it will list all feeds on that page and let you subscribe to them instantly. (If you are reading this in Firefox the icon is there now at the right hand end of the address bar - in the default theme it is orange).

If you want to use RSS in Firefox a better way is to use the extension 'Sage'. See my mini review here https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1685.msg24084#msg24084.

Renegade:
Right now I'm using RSS only for podcasts for my iPod. (Before anyone freaks - The iPod isn't that bad... it's iTunes that could use some help.)

I'm also using custom XML feeds for GDT, my MP3 player software for musicians. XML is just so amazing to work with. *.gdt song configuration files are all just XML.

I've seen a few people post about RSS readers, but can anyone recommend anything that's top notch? I really don't like to fiddle too much with software and prefer that things just work easily. Most often I don't even need that much power from a lot of software. So anything decent that will work and let me configure things nicely would be perfect.

Yes -  I'm being lazy - Just no time to fiddle. I prefer recommendations to start with as opposed to trying out 50 different things...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version