topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Do you use rss feeds?

Yes, I couldn't live without it
62 (32.3%)
I use it now and then
84 (43.8%)
I've Never tried it
24 (12.5%)
No, I don't like it
19 (9.9%)
Don't know/Don't care
3 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 181

Last post Author Topic: Do you use RSS feeds?  (Read 43486 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do you use RSS feeds?
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:28 PM »
In the line with the recent AlertBear Mini-Review by moerl, and the whole Discussion About AlertBear, and also on GreatNews RSS Reader, i decided to open this poll, to assess how much people really do use RSS feeds.

So... Please enlighten us with your opinion! :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 12:31 AM by brotherS »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you use rss feeds?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 06:48 PM »
this might be of interest:

zaine restarted blogging recently and his latest post is:
http://www.thegsblog.com/?p=75
Well, I’m here to eat a big plate of crow. I’ve been highly critical of subscription-based software for over a year now, but FeedDemon 2.0 has surprised me..

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:12 PM »
I love and hate RSS.  I love that I can keep up with all my favorite sites within a single application, but hate it when I get too many I'm interested in and watch hours disappear reading.  I'm more disciplined, now, maintaining a relatively small opml.

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I love and hate RSS.  I love that I can keep up with all my favorite sites within a single application, but hate it when I get too many I'm interested in and watch hours disappear reading.  I'm more disciplined, now, maintaining a relatively small opml.

I also have the information overload syndrome.  I subscribed to a ton of feeds but never find time to read them all.  I used to feel compelled to read all of them just like my emails, but I don't do that anymore.  Also, FeedDemon allows you to 'watch' certain keywords on your subscribed feeds and filter them into a different folder, and that helps a little.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:06 PM »
allen hits on a serious problem — I'm addicted to information — it's my soap opera every day — and my OPML file is so large that I avoid it. I answer email once a week or less most of the time for the same reason: so much to plow through, and when I'm done, I'm exhausted. Thanks to Newsgator's about face on subscriptions, I recently recanted my rants against FeedDemon.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:30 PM »
My choice for the poll would have been "Yes, I love them, but I wouldn't die if they weren't here". I chose the second one from the top. I can't say I couldn't live without RSS.. but I do love the fact that it exists. I haven't been reading any newsfeeds in over a week, simply because I haven't installed a newsreader since my last fresh installation of Windows, which happened, well, about a week ago :)

I still have to install GreatNews to see if it's as good as FeedDemon. I've tried it before, of course, but it was at a time when I wasn't even too fond of FeedDemon. I have a different perspective now and am eager to judge GreatNews RSS based on that new view. :)

epopuI

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you use RSS feeds?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 10:46 AM »
I've used Abilon for my RSS reader for a couple of years.  Added DonationCoder to it.  It's been reliable, not bloated, and is free.  I keep my feeds down to a reasonable number and then only read them once per day - more like the newspaper but I must admit I prefer that than to all the newsletters I used to get.  When I am 'working' I not really interested in being interupted by a scroller/ticker it becomes counter productive very quickly.  So I guess I would say, "I can't live without it" now!

kanelg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:47 AM »
No I found what i want in Internet

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 04:38 PM »
I use Website Watcher for my RSS feeds, because I haven't found anything that does it better (or rather, does it better without an insane memory load or huge executable files).
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 02:46 AM »
I use Website Watcher for my RSS feeds, because I haven't found anything that does it better (or rather, does it better without an insane memory load or huge executable files).
Here's what you need: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3015.0 :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 05:21 AM »
Here's what you need: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3015.0 :)
EhEh.. And AlertBear strikes again!
Well.. You made my mind, I'm going to give it a go ;)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Hm, I had stayed away from AlertBear because it's .NET, but it actually starts fast enough. 170meg VM usage and 23meg private bytes is a bit more than I'd like for an app like this, but I guess I'll live - the interface *is* nice and slick. But I'll probably miss the RegExp features of website watcher...
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 02:58 PM »
but I guess I'll live - the interface *is* nice and slick. But I'll probably miss the RegExp features of website watcher...
What for are you using RegEx together with RSS feeds?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 03:02 PM »
but I guess I'll live - the interface *is* nice and slick. But I'll probably miss the RegExp features of website watcher...
Ignoring dynamic parts of a feed - like "Times viewed *", which shouldn't trigger the feed item as 'new', only new items or changed 'content' should trigger...
- carpe noctem

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Ignoring dynamic parts of a feed - like "Times viewed *", which shouldn't trigger the feed item as 'new', only new items or changed 'content' should trigger...
But then you're talking about tracked websites... not actual RSS or Atom newsfeeds. With the latter, you don't have to ignore anything. When a new feed entry is up, you get it, whatever the time or any other counter on the page.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 03:11 PM »
But then you're talking about tracked websites... not actual RSS or Atom newsfeeds. With the latter, you don't have to ignore anything. When a new feed entry is up, you get it, whatever the time or any other counter on the page.
Perhaps - but it's still a form of RSS... but for "normal" RSS feeds, AleartBear certainly looks wonderful.
- carpe noctem

cdplayer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 08:54 PM »
I love RSS feeds!

They save me a few mins a day. I can hit several sites every easily. I get the major info without having to go fishing around for it on the site. :Thmbsup:

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Oh yes I use RSS feeds. All the time.

As a matter of fact, all all the news (well, their headlines) I read come rom several RSS-feeds. As an opensource zealot I use opensource software. After trying several programs and browser plugins and taskbar applet I settled for Liferea, the Liux feed reader. It worked very nicely so far, I don't think I'll change soon. I like it because it seems to use very few system resources.

Loonier

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • wildly boring
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 01:23 AM »
I use Newsgator because it has a reasonable interface and, eh, it's a free service I can access from any networked computer.  I, too, have way too many feeds (so get rid of some, dummy), and have found that, once you get behind, it can be almost impossible to catch up.  I must have 1500+ articles which I have yet to assess!  Help...  [Can't keep up with e-mail either.]

dpierron

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • De l'influence du ciel bleu sur le moral des motocyclistes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 03:47 AM »
I use RSS a lot for reading news while I commute.
I have a laptop, but no internet connection in the train, so I use Omea Reader (free version, my review here) to aggregate all the feeds I'm interested into, and download them in the morning, then read them "newspaper style" while in the train...

That usually saves about one hour of my time, each day, from surfing 20+ websites for news...
--
http://www.google.com/profiles/dpierron --- Google profile
http://davidsoft.free.fr --- De l'influence du ciel bleu sur le moral des motocyclistes
http://www.goodreads...om/user/show/1941488 -- Goodreads
http://davidsoft.fre...re2opds/calibre2opds -- calibre2opds

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 04:13 AM »
I use RSS a lot for reading news while I commute.
I have a laptop, but no internet connection in the train, so I use Omea Reader (free version, my review here) to aggregate all the feeds I'm interested into, and download them in the morning, then read them "newspaper style" while in the train...
So the complete, full articles, including images (if there are any) are downloaded in the morning, yes? Sounds like a brilliant idea for anyone commuting and not having to drive!

Could you post a screenshot of how that looks? I'm curious :)

dpierron

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • De l'influence du ciel bleu sur le moral des motocyclistes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 04:33 AM »
Sure, here they are (attached).

First, while connected (in the morning), I update all the feeds ; then, I select the 'Root' folder (which contains a tree with all my feeds) and Omea Reader creates a huge newspaper view of all the feeds I'm subscribed to : first screenshot.

Then, I switch Internet Explorer to offline mode (I've got a .reg file to do that, as explained in my review) and restart Omea Reader.

During my commute, I read my feeds, which are organized into categories and into 3 'Workspaces' (see the tabs at the top) : second screenshot.

Whenever, while reading, I want to bookmark an item (to report it to a friend, or further read on the net, ...) I flag it ; and, when connected again, I can browse my flagged items : third screenshot.

Sorry about this poor review, I'm not used to it and I'm trying to make it quick : I'm at work ;o)

PS : I love Screenshot Captor !
--
http://www.google.com/profiles/dpierron --- Google profile
http://davidsoft.free.fr --- De l'influence du ciel bleu sur le moral des motocyclistes
http://www.goodreads...om/user/show/1941488 -- Goodreads
http://davidsoft.fre...re2opds/calibre2opds -- calibre2opds

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 04:35 AM »
PS : I love Screenshot Captor !
agreed!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 06:15 AM »
Sorry about this poor review, I'm not used to it and I'm trying to make it quick : I'm at work ;o)
It's better than a review without any pics :D Now I better understand it, I like that you are able to flag stuff there!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 10:52 AM »
I'll admit, I don't know too much about rss feeds, but I tried using them for a while.  Here's my experience, please fill me in on the points I am not understanding.

There are a few forums I want to keep track of, so obviously rss feeds are good for that.  The thing I didn't like was that rss feeds don't actually give the whole thread or information, they just give a few lines of the whole thread.  Is this true for all rss feeds?  To get the whole feed, you still have to go to the actual website, whether that is supported inside the actual application or using your regular web browser.  Right?  So, basically, I get a taste of the thread, but I still have to go the website to read the whole thing.  That didn't do much for me.  I'd rather be able to have the complete threads from all the forums come into the application where I can read all of them in their entireity in one place.  Was it my setup that was wrong, or is this really how rss feeds work?

maybe this omea reader is the solution...