ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use RSS feeds?

<< < (6/14) > >>

brotherS:
There are a few forums I want to keep track of, so obviously rss feeds are good for that.  The thing I didn't like was that rss feeds don't actually give the whole thread or information, they just give a few lines of the whole thread.  Is this true for all rss feeds? 
-superboyac (April 07, 2006, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes!

To get the whole feed, you still have to go to the actual website, whether that is supported inside the actual application or using your regular web browser.  Right?  So, basically, I get a taste of the thread, but I still have to go the website to read the whole thing.  That didn't do much for me.  I'd rather be able to have the complete threads from all the forums come into the application where I can read all of them in their entireity in one place.  Was it my setup that was wrong, or is this really how rss feeds work?

--- End quote ---
RSS feeds can't work the way you suggest, that would defeat the purpose of RSS. While RSS is often translated to "Really Simple Syndication" you want "Really Not A Simple Syndication"...
;)

Many pages contain images, video content, ads (they need to refinance their sites somehow) or articles are spread over more than one page only (I wonder how those newspaper style readers handle those), so it would mean LOTS of bandwith to transfer EVERYTHING when the typical RSS feed reader is only interested in a few % of the feed items.

superboyac:
Perhaps the following is a good solution, and I don't know if any of the existing softwares do this:

All of the text parts of the thread will appear in the rss reader, but for any noncompatible objects (like video or pictures), you can click on the link to the thread to read it in the original webpage.  But it would be nice to get all the text at least.

skwire:
My favourite feed reader is RSS Bandit.  It has a synch feature that I love...makes reading feeds between work and home much much easier.

http://www.rssbandit.org

brotherS:
It has a synch feature that I love...makes reading feeds between work and home much much easier.
-skwire (April 10, 2006, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Now that's a smart idea!  :up:

dpierron:
Yes, I tried it and it was very good. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to download the web content of the RSS news items in an offline cache, to read offline while commuting ; did that situation evolve ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version