ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linus Torvalds on OpenSUSE

<< < (3/7) > >>

Rover:
Just run as root.  All the kewl kids are doing it.  ;)

VLC will not let you play movies as root.  :-\

40hz:
Doesn't Linux offer anything like that?
-Innuendo (March 04, 2012, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

It does. You can.

Which is why I'm wondering where Linus-T is coming from with this. :-\

40hz:
Linus is right about openSUSE's general being messed up, at least.
-Tuxman (March 04, 2012, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really. It's a very nice distro. More polished than most in fact.

But it's also openly geared towards a business/corporate rather than a home/personal user. So it incorporates a lot of enterprise mindset. And it's default security settings reflect that mentality. (They can always be turned off BTW.)

Linus probably went with Suse because they've been long-time champions of the KDE desktop, and well known for their elegant implementation of same. KDE is something Linus has gone on record for preferring over Gnome, which he's called 'braindead' on more than one occasion.

Dunno. It's always weird (to me) to see somebody with Linus's technical acumen freaking out over something the average Linux user briefly grumbles about before they change some settings and get on with life. So Torvalds' comments smack just a bit of acting like a 'Rock Star' and silly posturing to me.

But who knows? Linus has been known to display a touch of temper at times. Maybe he was just having a bad day?

Still, he is a god... of sorts. Which means anything Linus Torvalds says is automatically "news."

Onward! 8)  :Thmbsup:

Innuendo:
It does. You can.

Which is why I'm wondering where Linus-T is coming from with this. :-\
-40hz (March 04, 2012, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here I thought I was just missing someting.

I just checked Google...he's only 42 years old. That's way too young to be turning into a grumpy old man.

Tuxman:
Not really. It's a very nice distro. More polished than most in fact.-40hz (March 04, 2012, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
I like YaST(2), but I am not really happy with some of their unique inventions, like that Windows-like "one click installer" and similar things. Also, managing repositories is ugly compared to Debian.

KDE is fine, but I prefer the "original" KDE without their "polish". :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version