Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 07, 2016, 04:43:46 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Restore Ubuntu's 11.04 boot manager after installing WinXp  (Read 1122 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Restore Ubuntu's 11.04 boot manager after installing WinXp
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »
  i have installed Ubuntu 11.04 and i installed it in second partition and everything went well , during the boot process its Boot Manager ie., GNU GRUB  version 1.9~rc1-13ubuntu3 did recognise the Microsoft XP Pro (on/dev/sda1) on the last line the first being Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic .

So what if i happen to reformat my XP partition  would that make the Ubuntu's boot manager useless does it , if it does then is their any safer way to do so properly ,i want  XP Boot manager to recognis Ubuntu's entry: i can do that by editing the entry in the boot.ini but would that make the Ubuntu partition to boot properly, since it is uses Ext 4 journalizing system, i can't see that partition when i am in XP, that's ok with me.

Does or can any one give a nice suggestion with this, it would be a tremendous help.

P.S: I restore my PC more than i fix my PC if their are some nagging issues, since after installing UBUNTU , when starting the PC it will first show the Ubuntu's boot manager and their is an entry of Win xp, what would happen if i reformat my first partition would that effect the second partition where Ubuntu is installed.
Autorun Virus Remover.V.2.3 / Look n Stop Firewall.v2.07 / Sandboxie.v4.08  / Some Sense

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Restore Ubuntu's 11.04 boot manager after installing WinXp
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Fixed it : this is one topic i think i figured it myself: here's the link if their some Linux users: This one

How to restore the Ubuntu grub bootloader (9.10 and beyond)

First you need to find out what your drives are called. You can do this by going to a terminal and typing:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
From that you need to find the device name of your Ubuntu drive, something like “/dev/sda5″.
So, still in the terminal, type:
Code:
sudo mkdir /media/sda5
sudo mount /dev/sda5 /media/sda5

And then, to reinstall the grub:
Code:
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sda5 /dev/sda
Push enter and you’re done! Of course you need to replace “/dev/sda5″ and “/dev/sda” with what you found in the fdisk output.
Autorun Virus Remover.V.2.3 / Look n Stop Firewall.v2.07 / Sandboxie.v4.08  / Some Sense