ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Automatically compute sizes of tangram pieces

(1/2) > >>

rmo:
A really cool software for my workshop, should not be complex, I would not think.

Basically, I make tangram puzzle pieces. Wooden ones for kids and grownups alike to play with. But there has to be an easier way to figure out the piece sizes.

What I would like to do is be able to input ONE number and all the pieces' side lengths are automatically calculated. So, I can make a tangram any size I want without having to take time to figure out the size of every single piece. If, say, I wanted to make the large square with a base of 10 inches, the program could figure all the lengths.

Here's the breakdown on size relationships, but the image shows it pretty well:

There are seven pieces to the puzzle, arranged in the image as shown to make a square: 5 triangles, 1 square and 1 parallelogram. The triangles are all isosceles, with 2 small ones, 1 middle size, and 2 large ones.

As you can see, the large triangles' hypotenuse is equal to one side of the whole square. The middle triangle's legs are 1/2 the length of the square. The small triangles' hypotenuse is 1/2 the length of the square. The small square's side is equal to 1/2 the middle triangle's hypotenuse, or the whole length of the small triangles' leg. The parallelogram's long side is equal to 1/2 the whole square's side, while the short side is equal to 1/2 of the hypotenuse of the middle triangle.

Is this doable?

Thanks!

Ron

skwire:
Here's a preliminary screenshot:

DONE: Automatically compute sizes of tangram pieces

Was this something like you had in mind?

Target:
FWIW there are apps around that do similar things, ie calculating 'best fits' for cutting the maximum number of pieces out of a flat plane.

are there likely to be any more variables, eg varying the number of pieces?

and a suggestion - I have no idea if this possible or not, but it may get someone thinking.  Instead of measuring the sides, how about a drawing type application that lets you pick and place the various shapes into a defined outline.  The resulting image could be printed out and used as a 'template' (stick it onto your chosen material and cut along the lines)

cranioscopical:
-skwire (February 29, 2012, 11:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice work, and back in under three hours  :Thmbsup:

rmo:
Here's a preliminary screenshot:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-skwire (February 29, 2012, 11:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

YES! Perfect!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version