topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Rasberry Pi launches Wednesday Feb 29 - and is an instant sell-out as predicted  (Read 5640 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
50px-Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png

If you've been following recent Rasberry Pi announcements you probably knew this was coming.  8) ;D

From the fine folks over at OSnews:

Raspberry Pi launch turns into frenzy
posted by Thom Holwerda on Wed 29th Feb 2012 09:47 UTC

This morning, I experienced the nerd equivalent of a Black Friday $50 iPad sale. At 07:00 CET, the first batch of the much-anticipated Raspberry Pi went on sale, and while Raspberry Pi itself was very properly prepared, the two large international retailers actually selling the device weren't - despite warnings from Raspberry Pi about the enormous amount of traffic that would come their way, the two sites crumbled to dust within seconds. There's good news too - the cheaper model A has seen its RAM doubled at no additional cost.

Needless to say, I couldn't get my order in. But so what? They'll make more.

With demand for a piece of technology as 'right' as this, how could they possibly not?  :Thmbsup:

And if you don't know what Rasberry Pi is, or why it's such a big deal, you can read all about it here.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:24 AM by 40hz »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You guys are the absolute worst thing to happen to my bank account, never mind the bl**dy Nigerian scam-mongers  :(

(Drats, I forgot the release was so close otherwiae I wouldn't have bought the Arduino board to play with...then again, probably would have had as much luck as you in getting one.)

I hope RS Components (AU) and Element14 (Farnell AU) get some of the next batch, even though I'll still miss out  :(
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:10 PM by 4wd »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You guys are the absolute worst thing to happen to my bank account, never mind the bl**dy Nigerian scam-mongers  :(

Might be the best thing actually! ;D

Imagine a nice HD video player and home theater server for around $250 all in? Or finally doing that second home server you were thinking about doing just for the kids, but couldn't quite cost justify.

I'm personally imagining my life with thin client Linux boxes in almost every room of the house talking to a big honking (and probably expensive since I wouldn't do that using an R-Pi. At least I don't think I would...) personal cloud server hiding down in my basement.

I might also put an email server on one, a webserver on another,  and use a third as a soup-to-nuts firewall/router combo!

Hmm...I wonder if they'll eventually offer it in 6-packs? ;D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm thinking that instead of DC mugs as giveaways, there's a new alternative:

Cody Pi

Pi.jpg

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pie has room for SSD Pi doesn't? (something like that any way)

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member