ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Quick Review: Collusion - Firefox "tracking" add-on

<< < (5/6) > >>

urlwolf:
I really wonder what the limits of 3rd-party cookies are.
It defies everything I know about cookies.
Anyone here knows this field well?

4wd:
How do you anonymise them?-IainB (May 13, 2012, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

The now unsupported OptimizeGoogle addon - whether or not it now actually works due to changes Google may have made in the meantime is another question.

But I don't get any kind of cross-linking between sites connected to Google, (as you see in your pic),

there is only one "ring" of sites feeding back to Google, (as opposed to the possible 3 or more in your pic),

nor do I get ads related to anything I type, (after disabling other addons), since installing it, eg. as Renegade found here.

So something somewhere must be doing something :)

Then again, I'm never logged into Google for anything except maybe once a month to check the spam folder in email, so really I guess the only thing they can go on is my IP.

I might do a little testing in a VM with just OptimizeGoogle and Collusion installed and see what eventuates.

Addendum:
I thought I'd do something simpler: do a search, read the cookie ID, delete it, do another search, read the cookie ID again.

Before ID: e3d6010785247c84:FF=0:TM=1336956597:LM=1336956597:S=PEa3IUp2Cw-N-RTt
After ID:  d6389bb5e8d134bb:U=7c4d84c4aa943c7f:FF=4:LD=en:NR=100:TM=1336956662:LM=1336956662:S=1ZXOzkMmGGEFmo_U

I've done it a few times and the only item that seems consistent is the TM, (time), entry - the other are always something different.  I would think that if they wanted to track me using a cookie then they would have to use a consistent ID string based on my machine configuration, (or Google login - which I don't).

BTW, Data Liberation Front - something I just read about in APC, (Australian Personal Computer).
This site is a central location for information on how to move your data in and out of Google products.
--- End quote ---

It's run by Google - so take that how you will :)

IainB:
@4wd: Thanks!
Have installed the OptimizeGoogle addon. Will see what difference it makes - if any.
I think the reason I get all those Google hits is because I am logged in to Gmail most of the time I am online, even though I might not be using it.

4wd:
I think the reason I get all those Google hits is because I am logged in to Gmail most of the time I am online, even though I might not be using it.-IainB (May 14, 2012, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget, I also clear all cookies when Firefox shuts down, so any Google cookie will only be regenerated when I next do a Google search - along with OptimizeGoogle it means it's an anonymised ID each time I start Firefox.

4wd:
Well, after three weeks of running Change Referer Button and RefControl my Collusion graph looks like this:

Quick Review: Collusion - Firefox "tracking" add-on

A vast improvement over what it was before - I could probably do away with Change Referer Button as I have both it and RefControl set to forge the destination site but it gives a faster method of switching between modes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version