ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (35/36) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Yeah, I saw the news of that too. "In the future, products have *fewer* features than before!"  :mad:

Carol Haynes:
  Oh Microsoft, you've done it again....  >:(  If you want to play  DVD's on Win 8, you have to pay extra.  As a result of dumping Media Center by default, out of the box versions of Windows 8 will also lose TV tuner support and DVD Video Object (VOB) file playback.

Windows 8 Dumps Default DVD Playback
Microsoft's Windows 8 will not ship with support for DVD
playback. It says DVD playback will require a "marginal cost" OS
upgrade or a third-party solution.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/255038/windows_8_dumps_default_dvd_playback.html

-Tinman57 (May 05, 2012, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought Media Center was only being omitted from the Pro version. Almost all computer will ship with the Home version on - which begs the question if you upgrade to Pro do they REMOVE functionality?

Has anyone seen whether losing Media Center in Pro affects Media Player which has been in every version of Windows at least since Windows 98.

Tinman57:
I thought Media Center was only being omitted from the Pro version. Almost all computer will ship with the Home version on - which begs the question if you upgrade to Pro do they REMOVE functionality?

Has anyone seen whether losing Media Center in Pro affects Media Player which has been in every version of Windows at least since Windows 98.
--- End quote ---

From what I understand, if you already have Media Center you can use it on Win 8.  But considering it has to be "installed", unless you can find and get the installer to work your out of luck.  And I think that Media Center can't be separated from the OS disk to install on another machine according to MS's EULA.
  Win 8 and pro comes with Media Player.  But doesn't that beg the question would you still have to install all the codecs, which means you either find a freebie codec or pay for it?
  Here's a rundown of what comes with the different flavors of Win 8: http://www.pcworld.com/article/253919/windows_8_will_come_in_four_versions.html
  You can go to the MS website and ask a question to the MS agents for the proper answers....

Edvard:
o_O

How the hell did I manage to miss a "I'm switching to Linux" thread?  :tellme:

So, superboyac, how's it going?
Need help?
I got your back, don't worry...

iphigenie:
It's slowly coming to the time of year where I make another attempt of switching to linux or BSD as a main desktop/laptop OS (except for games)
Last year went further than ever but still faltered on finding apps I could deal with - for image management, music, but also for diagrams. And now Access based Actinic. Still, maybe this year they work on Crossover?

By the way my combo on TaoPhoenix's grid ended up Slackware-fluxbox

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version