ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (33/36) > >>

Tuxman:
An OpenSUSE-KDE combo runs different programs than a Debian-SUSE combo. -TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Except for the package management system: Why?

Shades:
Apparently the Linux kernel can behave very strangely when it is enabled. Most forums I visited with regards to errors I experienced always told me to disable ACPI. For some chipsets it works, but with most it just introduces erratic behavior that drives you insane.

TaoPhoenix:
An OpenSUSE-KDE combo runs different programs than a Debian-SUSE combo. -TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Except for the package management system: Why?
-Tuxman (May 04, 2012, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, maybe it's my newbieness talking, but I assumed that Suse programs couldn't run on Debian.

Tuxman:
Wrong. "Suse programs" can even run on FreeBSD.  :D
The only thing that might break compatibility are library dependencies. ELF binaries are ELF binaries (like .exe on Windows), but if certain libraries (.dll files) are missing or exist in their wrong versions, you will not be able to execute the application without breakages.

sword:
Since my last post on this topic, 29 Feb., I have expanded my hardware to include a new(used) box for backup and duplicated Linux functions. I have no need for high specification video or sound. My approach is just to have fun and to keep a simple, with no need for constant upgrades, safe setup. I prefer to use 'live' Linux CD running in RAM. The new(used) box has more RAM than my best previous favorite box and a CD plus a CDRW so it should be good if the older one fails. I bought four similar new Maxtor 10 GB hard drives as spares years ago and only one is a little used so they should last quite a while. Linux Mint 12, Knoppix 5.1.1 and Puppy 5.2.5 work well and give me lots of choices. The upgrade has 768 MB ram, 1.8 GHz, 40 GB hdd, CD, CDRW, ethernet, usb and cost forty dollars, ( $40.00 ) so I can get back to the fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version