ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (30/36) > >>

Tinman57:
[/quote author=TaoPhoenix link=topic=30133.msg287185#msg287185 date=1335836604]

Right behind me, looking for alternatives to Microsoft you mean? Hmm.
Meanwhile on the whole touch fad, I'm toying with the idea of laying my touch computer down flat on its back on my desk (if that doesn't have any evil side effects! I dunno!) Because then maybe I wouldn't need a mouse - just "tap with fingers" to open folders, etc. Only problem is it would fight the keyboard for primacy horozontal space, but it is an interesting idea.
--- End quote ---

Geeze Tao, what did you think I was talking about? :o

Only problem with laying your monitor in the horizontal position is with the cat walking on it and messing things up.   :D

TaoPhoenix:
Geeze Tao, what did you think I was talking about? :o

-Tinman57 (May 01, 2012, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Heh let's just say I'm as sharp as a marble, and cruise onward!  :D

Meanwhile, re: MS DRM, isn't there some kind of music/movie DRM in Vista and Windows 7? It was big news during Vista's first year, but I don't recall the details. Anyone know?

wraith808:
And don't even think about replacing your motherboard with a different MB, because you'll completely lose your license and have to re-buy it.
-Tinman57 (May 01, 2012, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... no?  I've used the same license of windows through several different computers, let alone just upgrading parts.

I may keep XP on my system with a dual boot, of course I'd have to disable the network side of it.
--- End quote ---

I don't get this statement.  MS discontinuing support just means that they won't support issues or deploy patches.  Unless there comes a very bad defect, I don't see why the network has anything to do with it?

TaoPhoenix:

I'm confused. I thought the point of discontinuing support meant that there would be no patches?

Tinman57:
And don't even think about replacing your motherboard with a different MB, because you'll completely lose your license and have to re-buy it.
--- End quote ---

Ummm... no?  I've used the same license of windows through several different computers, let alone just upgrading parts.

I may keep XP on my system with a dual boot, of course I'd have to disable the network side of it.
--- End quote ---

I don't get this statement.  MS discontinuing support just means that they won't support issues or deploy patches.  Unless there comes a very bad defect, I don't see why the network has anything to do with it?
-wraith808 (May 01, 2012, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't speak too loudly about that, because your using an illegal copy of Windows.... Don't beleive me, just read the EULA with the CD or on MS's web site....  In fact, I'm kind of surprised that you were even able to register it with the MS website, which is automatic, unless you ran one of the various hacks to bypass Windows DRM.

Well lets see, if MS stops issuing security updates, then obviously XP won't stand a chance on the internet.  Therefore I'd have to disable the networking side of things to prevent someone from accessing XP over the internet...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version