ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (28/36) > >>

Tuxman:
Okay, leaving aside Free-BSD, putting a desktop environment over Linux *almost* does make it a generic desktop operating system. -TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
What is the difference then? Why do you consider Linux a generic desktop OS but BSD not?

As for the drivers, if they are included in the CD's, they "Just Work".-TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wrong. Really, really wrong.
If they are included in the CDs, they are primarily outdated.

I know, Linux advocates hate that, but sorry, for new users, that's how it is.-TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
No.
Best example from the real world: Dumbuntu. Try to upgrade it to a new version without failing any driver. Good luck.

If I can't even boot to a desktop, how the blazes will I diagnose which driver is missing and fire up a web browser that didn't load to go find it and somehow install it?-TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's why Windows is the better desktop OS.

just get me a basically working system with sound and TV. Not that tough.-TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
From a newbie user's POV, you might be right. Technically, this is horribly wrong.

TaoPhoenix:

Well, let's agree to disagree! I'm done for the night on my project, and knowing me, likely for 3 months or more.

Every user has their cases, and I mostly filled mine.

Tuxman:
There is no "agreeing" when it comes to things that are either true or false. :P

Good night.

Josh:
Holy OS-Religion wars Batman, how about we let people be entitled to their opinion?

Tuxman:
Denied.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version