ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (25/36) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I appreciate all your advice!

About mid way through the weekend some concepts clarified:

"Full Debian Software" became the top end goal, with the mercenary substep of "any double-triple mod necessary to get past ultra basic problems like booting up." Hence my comment that I'm no fan of Ubuntu tbe brand, it's only a mechanism to stay Debian-based when several other closer distros also refused to boot. I'm down to my last 3 tests - The "Counterweight" is Zorin Lite, a "double-mod" of Ubuntu aka fixing crap that Ubuntu didn't bother to do. But I think it's based on Oct-2011. So for conceptual reasons, I'm "going for the gold" to see if I can't "park" on Pangolin because it's the LTS release. (So far my mouse pointer mysteriously vanished, but we'll wait until it reboots.)

Crunchbang ended up in the other category, "Backbone distros for 3rd tier comps". The iso somehow ended up bigger than I thought it would be, maybe 450 megs, and by that point I'd already found Puppy-Racy which is the lead contender in that half. By that point I was out of time to download Crunchbang due to my slow net line I mentioned. I'm out of energy to decide if I prefer OpenBox-Crunchbang vs JWM-Puppy. Those were "Emergency fallbacks" earlier in the study before I made better progress with Zorin's copy of Ubuntu.

Looping back, You're right in that I'm not going to ditch my Windows machine, I worked too hard on it to just trash it. I just wanted something on hand to see if I could get a Linux entertainment machine going, just to dip my toes in the water.

Tuxman:
First important thing: Drop anything that includes Ubuntu stuff.
Really, Ubuntu is broken by design in a lot of ways, "full Debian" is the other direction.

If you want Ubuntu, use Ubuntu, but don't expect compatibility to anything aside Ubuntu then.

TaoPhoenix:
First important thing: Drop anything that includes Ubuntu stuff.
Really, Ubuntu is broken by design in a lot of ways, "full Debian" is the other direction.

If you want Ubuntu, use Ubuntu, but don't expect compatibility to anything aside Ubuntu then.
-Tuxman (April 29, 2012, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I have the figurative fire protection suit on, but three other Non-Ubuntu distros failed to load, so I don't have a lot of time left this weekend. (And I tend to lose my focus for this stuff on weekdays.) It takes me almost 2 hours to download and install a distro, so plus sleep that was 10 hours total lost.

Edit: Survey Says....
Ubuntu's "pure" upgrade didn't boot again, they have some standardized driver that conflicts with my system. So while I'm still half an hour out from downloading U-P 12.04 Lubuntu, it probably will have the same driver problem which means this is standard for all "regular" Ubuntu editions going forward despite desktop environment.

So I'm putting Zorin's copy back on, and then all I need to test is sound and flash. Then in X months whenever Zorin comes out with his Pangolin mod, I'll try that. So I'm almost done.

Tuxman:
To be honest, I never gave any Ubuntu edition a run, it is enough to see how it fails - every new *buntu release floods Linux help forums.
I doubt Zorin's version is much better.

So I really wonder why you want reliability and *buntu....

TaoPhoenix:
To be honest, I never gave any Ubuntu edition a run, it is enough to see how it fails - every new *buntu release floods Linux help forums.
I doubt Zorin's version is much better.

So I really wonder why you want reliability and *buntu....
-Tuxman (April 29, 2012, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then trust 18 hours of work this weekend. Don't "doubt", here are my results. On this particular box, all copies of Ubuntu Natural from about October 2011 forward won't load because of some kind of driver problem. Zorin's copy loads. Lights out. Nothing else matters. Zorin-Ubuntu and Puppy-Racy are the only 2 out of 8 distros that loaded on this box.

Edit:
Flash works.
Sound works.
I found the file manager.

So that's almost a lock. I'm basically done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version