ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (24/36) > >>

Tuxman:
Lol, Ubuntu. The Linux for people who want Windows. Stick with Windows, you'll love it.
(Also, Ubuntu is the most-broken distribution I know, every upgrade brings new heavy quirks. I wonder why there are so many masochists around.)

That aside, there is no point in switching to Linux if you want random Windows applications ("Wine", mentioned several times in this thread).
There is a good reason for a dual-boot Linux, like for the lulz or something, but replacing Windows for the sake of replacing Windows is never a good idea.

That said, I currently operate a couple of machines, some Linuxes on them too. My main machine is a Win7/Fedora 16 dual-boot, and Fedora is hardly ever booted at all.

BTW TaoPhoenix, if you come from Windows, try KDE. It is better than people say about it, a lot of eye-candy and widget stuff.

TaoPhoenix:
Lol, Ubuntu. The Linux for people who want Windows. Stick with Windows, you'll love it.
(Also, Ubuntu is the most-broken distribution I know, every upgrade brings new heavy quirks. I wonder why there are so many masochists around.)

That aside, there is no point in switching to Linux if you want random Windows applications ("Wine", mentioned several times in this thread).
There is a good reason for a dual-boot Linux, like for the lulz or something, but replacing Windows for the sake of replacing Windows is never a good idea.

That said, I currently operate a couple of machines, some Linuxes on them too. My main machine is a Win7/Fedora 16 dual-boot, and Fedora is hardly ever booted at all.

BTW TaoPhoenix, if you come from Windows, try KDE. It is better than people say about it, a lot of eye-candy and widget stuff.
-Tuxman (April 29, 2012, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tried KDE, "Hated it". I'm a Right Click fan, so that's guiding my choices. I don't recall from a year ago, but stuff just wasn't where I wanted it. Meanwhile I think I'd rather be closer to pure Debian "but with Codecs that Just Work" but some 3-4 versions off DistroWatch didn't even boot, and I'm sorry, I refuse to put up with not booting. Given the millions of former XP boxes about to hit the streets I'd have thought a P4 Box would be prime time for linux, but it's proven tougher than I first thought.  So far I seem to mostly like LXDE (what little I saw of it before I took the upgrade plunge), Puppy's JWM wasn't bad, and the last to test is XFCE.

Tuxman:
Right-click works like a charm in KDE. KDE 4.8 is usable after a couple of quite fucked-up versions before it.
If you want "pure Debian with some codecs", try Linux Mint Debian Edition.  :)

"Pure Debian", however, means Gnome which is bleh. Considering that you like JWM, you really should try IceWM though!

TaoPhoenix:
Right-click works like a charm in KDE. KDE 4.8 is usable after a couple of quite fucked-up versions before it.
If you want "pure Debian with some codecs", try Linux Mint Debian Edition.  :)

"Pure Debian", however, means Gnome which is bleh. Considering that you like JWM, you really should try IceWM though!
-Tuxman (April 29, 2012, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh - there were SEVERAL Fscked editions of KDE, with maybe only 3 out of 7 working in the 4.x series! (I saw the outrage over 4.0, maybe one update worked, a couple of the middle ones broke things again, and now it's 2012!) And yes I agree Gnome 3 is Bleh, though I keep hearing Gnome 2 was okay, but it's fading...

Meanwhile, I DID try Linux Mint Debian Edition, but sadly, that was one of the copies that failed to boot on my machine! (Maybe despite the Compaq label, it really has a couple of crappy specs, I dunno.)

I did come across IceWM, though I couldn't get it in any of the other right config-distros. (I lost my pack of DVD's and I don't even know how clean my drive will burn them, and then even if my test machine knows how to boot from a DVD), so several of the "Dvd-based" distros lost out this weekend. (Plus this is a one-time project, maybe with one followup. I have a purposely dreadfully slow ISP plan to save small dollars every month because I normally don't do anything interesting needing bandwidth.)

Whew!

Tuxman:
OK, another proposal: Crunchbang Linux? May be spartanic but features a lightweight Openbox, and aptitude works. :D
(Runs in a VM here. Great IMO.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version