ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (22/36) > >>

superboyac:
OK...you guys know how I always complain about how programmers don't make enough pretty gui's and buttons to do things vs. command line, scripting, etc.?

Well, I've been creating my new website, but I didn't want to use wordpress or anything because it was too hard to get it to do things exactly the way I wanted.  So over the years I became a little more comfortable with html, css, and copying other people's codes.  I've been playing around with jquery...it's awesome!  I can make the coolest webpages and all I have to do is tweak a few lines of code!  So I'm officially warming up to the keyboard/text editor way of doing things.  I was going to start a new thread, but I figured I'd just quietly hide it here in case I change my mind.

Deozaan:
I was going to start a new thread, but I figured I'd just quietly hide it here in case I change my mind.-superboyac (March 27, 2012, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

THE GREAT EYE SEES ALL!

40hz:
I was going to start a new thread, but I figured I'd just quietly hide it here in case I change my mind.-superboyac (March 27, 2012, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

THE GREAT EYE SEES ALL!
-Deozaan (March 27, 2012, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

And now that you know that, they'll have to kill you.  :P

TaoPhoenix:
I prefer some of the newer distros to start on.

Instead of Slackware as a "run on bare metal" choice I'd go with Arch Linux if you really want to learn what it's all about on a very fundamental level. Good docs too.

Instead of Mandriva (who's future is still up in the air) I'd go with Linux Mint for an easy to use minimal hassle Linux that's very Windows like. A very polished and svelte distro, perfect for beginners - and more than powerful enough for an advanced user. Top user pick over at Distrowatch. And for good reason.
-40hz (February 28, 2012, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Warning: Newbie hilarity ahead!  ;D

I finally quit being lazy and set out to try to see which distros behave on my older test box after getting skunked by Ubuntu, and Mint was first on my list. (Last year's entry was Open Suse which almost worked, so that's my counterweight.)

Unfortunately, Mint isn't behaving clean - it almost doesn't boot. I mashed a bunch of keys and stumbled into the command line, at which point I exhausted my fortune-cookie level of Linux knowledge by typing apt, then "went for the candy" with dist-upgrade, which at least was better in that it is now doing "something" (aka claiming to be installing all kinds of juicy packages. Before it wasn't even booting, so that's progress.) If that still doesn't work, I'll just have to try another distro.

Whew! Long story short, I'm not good enough to brute force a distro for the sake of the distro, for me as representative of a type of new linux user, having the distro be able to pass the test of "But Linux is good on older hardware!" is important. I don't really plan to do a full migration over like AC in the title post, I just wanted to know where the state of Linux is these days. In that sense I'll live with glitches, but boot problems are over my tolerance limit. This is just a random Best Buy box from a few years ago, maybe Pentium 4, so it should be right in the target market. With the advent of MS trying to push XP to end of life, I think we'll see a flood of former XP boxes floating around so Linux could be waiting in the wings for a nice small usage boost.

Edit: Still doesn't boot - gets stuck checking "battery state". So off I go to another distro...

mahesh2k:
If you have an old hardware you should consider using any distro with lxde as window manager. Lubuntu is very low on resources. Ubuntu,suse and mandriva, fedora require modern hardware because of the desktop environment like kde and gnome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version