ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (21/36) > >>

mahesh2k:
Wine is just a layer that runs windows programs under linux. Think of it as virtual machine running old XP programs on 7.

Install Wine 1.2 from your respective linux respository. You'll get Wine in applications menu or Other" menu. Once you install Wine you don't need to do anything. Just run the windows programs, if it is supported under wine, installation of that program will run (or if it is portable standalone app it will start without any issues). If it is not supported, you'll find nothing and there will be no linux crash either. (Note: in case of window based games running under wine, linux display may crash but nothing will be lost and in next reboot, everything is fine, unless ofcourse if you try to run the same buggy program again. ).

You don't have to run command line, git, adept ..nothing. Wine will run windows program just like you used to run it on windows. Same options, same GUI (okay there is change in window decoration -borders etc as per your linux DE) but that's it. You get your programs running inside linux.

superboyac:
Wine is just a layer that runs windows programs under linux. Think of it as virtual machine running old XP programs on 7.

Install Wine 1.2 from your respective linux respository. You'll get Wine in applications menu or Other" menu. Once you install Wine you don't need to do anything. Just run the windows programs, if it is supported under wine, installation of that program will run (or if it is portable standalone app it will start without any issues). If it is not supported, you'll find nothing and there will be no linux crash either. (Note: in case of window based games running under wine, linux display may crash but nothing will be lost and in next reboot, everything is fine, unless ofcourse if you try to run the same buggy program again. ).

You don't have to run command line, git, adept ..nothing. Wine will run windows program just like you used to run it on windows. Same options, same GUI (okay there is change in window decoration -borders etc as per your linux DE) but that's it. You get your programs running inside linux.
-mahesh2k (March 19, 2012, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, wine was going to be my next experiment.  My fear is that it will work, but be all slow and unresponsive when clicking around...like virtual sandboxes.

wraith808:
^ And this is the reason that I gave up when I tried my Linux experiment.  My steps were:

* 1. Install Linux on a side box and use WINE to run Windows apps.  The problem was, it wasn't my primary machine, and so everything was slower and it wasn't helping my transition, as when I went to the machine, I wasn't really *doing* anything.  In fact, most of the time, I was using slower Windows apps in WINE.
* 2. Install VM on my main machine.  Again, I wasn't really getting anything done in the VM, and when I did use it, some of my major things required Windows, so it was either install WINE to use them in the VM (which didn't seem to make sense), or go back to Windows.
In the end, I know I didn't give Linux the try it deserved, but I realized that I didn't need to- that there was no compelling reason to switch.  So I haven't.

Ath:
In the end, I know I didn't give Linux the try it deserved, but I realized that I didn't need to- that there was no compelling reason to switch.  So I haven't.
-wraith808 (March 19, 2012, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think that is why 98% of ppl stay with Windows, including developers and other techies :)

Armando:
Friends or acquaintances who durably* switched did it for 4 main reasons (one or all of them, in no specific order):

- extremely strong philosophical/ethical ideals (usually related to the open source philosophy),
- absolute need for work/studies (using very specific applications in very specific environment),
- need to be part of a certain subculture because other "friends" are part of it,
- ...  price and/or too much time on their hands.  :)

*durably = barely using windows for prolonged periods of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version