ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (20/36) > >>

Armando:
Thanks for that classic.
I won my bet too. The only thing is I'm not sure if it's a good thing...  :)

TaoPhoenix:
I had a bad experience with Ubuntu a couple of times. A ways back I ran into a (later determined) known bug in Dapper Drake that did ugly things, then somewhere about 10-10 Ubuntu quit loading on my test machine.

I did sorta okay with one of the Suses. I've been dying to try out Mint with xfce, but I need a good 3 day weekend to really try out a distro.

But lately I just lost interest because it's the App side. Forgetting the big hitter programs, I have almost/over 100 mini apps! So the trouble for me is trying to find replacements for everything.

superboyac:
I had a bad experience with Ubuntu a couple of times. A ways back I ran into a (later determined) known bug in Dapper Drake that did ugly things, then somewhere about 10-10 Ubuntu quit loading on my test machine.

I did sorta okay with one of the Suses. I've been dying to try out Mint with xfce, but I need a good 3 day weekend to really try out a distro.

But lately I just lost interest because it's the App side. Forgetting the big hitter programs, I have almost/over 100 mini apps! So the trouble for me is trying to find replacements for everything.
-TaoPhoenix (March 19, 2012, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, me too.  i rely on dozens of little software every day on Windows.  Actually, that would be an interesting list for me to make regarding this little project of mine.  I should list all my regularly used Windows softwares and find equivalents for mint.

mahesh2k:
I think it is the right time you need to install Wine and test some of the windows programs. I have managed to run old FARR inside Wine without any issues. I am sure most of the portable apps will run just fine.

Following apps work for me under wine:

Word 2003/07
Treesheets
Sigil
and many others ...

So you can download Wine 1.2 for Mint and then install the windows programs and see if it works.

TaoPhoenix:

-TaoPhoenix (March 19, 2012, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, me too.  i rely on dozens of little software every day on Windows.  Actually, that would be an interesting list for me to make regarding this little project of mine.  I should list all my regularly used Windows softwares and find equivalents for mint.
-superboyac (March 19, 2012, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I forgot about Wine! But I don't understand that well how to get data "out of the wine side" and "into the linux side." (Does Cut and Paste work?)

But if you just think, at the absurdly fast Hour per App, that's 100 hours!  :o

To that other set of posts, I DO want Linux to be able to do everything with a GUI, because for me it is about the Philosophy of Linux being Not a Big Corp. I am not interested in the command line right now. So we were saying about multi distros, gimme a GUI one! I like Buttons!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version